Incontinence after TURB/Catheter removal

4 months 1 week ago #62097 by joea76
Replied by joea76 on topic Incontinence after TURB/Catheter removal
Mine was 2x1 cm and Ta and the urologist was very experienced.  So, I did not experience incontinence but I experienced increased frequency for a few days.   It sounds like a large area of the lining of the bladder was resected, which might have effected.   It takes about 2 weeks for the lining of the bladder to recover. I am pretty sure that it gets better as the lining of the bladder gets rebuilt.   Incidentally, I have asked ChatGPT about incontinences after TURBT.  The following was the reply.

The occurrence of urinary incontinence after TURBT is relatively uncommon, and many individuals do not experience persistent incontinence as a direct result of the procedure. However, the risk factors and likelihood of incontinence can depend on several factors, including:
  1. Extent of Resection: The size and location of the tumor being resected can impact the risk of complications, including incontinence.
  2. Tumor Characteristics: High-grade tumors or tumors that have invaded deeper layers of the bladder wall may require more extensive resection, potentially increasing the risk of complications.
  3. Surgeon Experience: The skill and experience of the surgeon performing the TURBT can influence the likelihood of complications.
  4. Pre-existing Conditions: Individuals with pre-existing conditions affecting bladder function or continence may be at a higher risk.
  5. Postoperative Care: Adequate postoperative care and follow-up are important for monitoring and managing potential complications.
It's important for individuals undergoing TURBT to discuss potential risks and complications, including urinary incontinence, with their healthcare team. In many cases, any incontinence experienced after TURBT is temporary and improves over time as the body heals.

best
The following user(s) said Thank You: CincyTom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 months 1 week ago #62096 by CincyTom
I had a large (+8 cm) tumor removed from my bladder on 12/18. In hospital until 12/22, when the catheter was removed and I was sent home. Incontinence began later that night.

How common is incontinence after these procedures? What can I do to help fix the problem? Anyone's experiences would be very welcome. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne