Surgery Monday -- What to expect?

4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #62084 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic Surgery Monday -- What to expect?
Tom,
Doug has only had the catheter a few times.  His doctor said that the catheter is needed based on the location of the tumor.  Doug has never liked the heavy duty pain medication (except for the first 24 hours).  He opted for tylenol instead.  Doug was diagnosed in 2001 and had his first TURB then.  We're heading to Zumba this morning.  Reitterating what Alan said, "bladder cancer is most often treatable and beatable."   The surgery is usually pretty quick.  Doug did experience more pain and discomfort than Alan described.  You probably need to take it easy for a week or so.  (Don't go to Zumba or anything else strenuous, but you can take a walk and enjoy the holidays.)  No  heavy lifting.    Let us know how it goes.
Anita

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan, CincyTom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 months 2 weeks ago #62081 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Surgery Monday -- What to expect?
Welcome Tom,

First, for most people the TURB surgery (Transurethral Resection) is a nonevent and, usually just an hours procedure or less. Meaning most of us had maybe mild pain, some other mild discomfort. So, let's hope you are in that camp. I was able to leave a few hours later. Keep in mind that you really know NOTHING until the biopsy is reported. While rare, sometimes these are not even cancerous. One thing surgeons sometimes forget to tell upon discharge, you may pass clots not only for a day or so but, likely 10-14 days past. These are usually darker blood reflecting scabs leaving. The most important thing to remember, bladder cancer is most often treatable and beatable. Keep posting and asking away as you go.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CincyTom

4 months 2 weeks ago #62080 by CincyTom
Surgery Monday -- What to expect? was created by CincyTom
Hi, a CT scan today has revealed two tumors in my bladder. My urologist has scheduled surgery on Monday to remove them. I'm also told I'll have a catheter for a few days. This is all pretty scary and confusing, so I hope someone can give me an idea of what I can expect this process will be like. Any information is welcome, and I'll provide additional details as needed. Thank you all in advance.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne