Does stent after TURBT spread cancer cells

10 years 3 months ago #45813 by rbmc
Due to tumor locations, have had one catheter experience afterwards, and one stent (10 days ea). No (male)trouble with either. The catheter was only obnoxious when being used. The stent was quite an annoying discomfort 24/7. Both were prior to BCG treatment. Hope you'll find the BCG to be an acceptable treatment vs. others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 3 months ago #45800 by nightmare
Replied by nightmare on topic Does stent after TURBT spread cancer cells
Thank you for reply, Don't know why the urine cannot drain normally, by itself, without a catheter--- in a female.

Understand a male would have blood clots that would clog up the ureter.....we don't have that problem with our anatomy.........

More concerned with seeding from the stent....are there not any researchers out there?????

10 years 3 months ago #45798 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic Does stent after TURBT spread cancer cells
Welcome.

Doug has had 6 TURBs and twice, he's had to have a catheter. He hates the catheter (as I think most people do) and always says to the doctor "Don't use a catheter." The urologist explained to us that sometimes they have to use a catheter because of the location of the tumour in order to allow for urine to flow out of the body. You definitely want that to happen. Doug has never had a stent, so I can't speak about that.

What state are you in now?

We are in East TN.

Anita (Doug's wife)

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

10 years 3 months ago #45797 by nightmare
Replied by nightmare on topic Does stent after TURBT spread cancer cells
Thank you for your excellent advice about BCG. Guess I won't know till I start.

I would like to be able to discuss with Dr. some scientific studies to
support why I think a stent is a bad idea. So if anyone can quote studies that have been done----I'm all ears. I already know a catheter hugely increases bladder infection risk---my father actually became septic from it--- and almost died from that rather than the bladder cancer that took him 6 months later.

10 years 3 months ago #45793 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Does stent after TURBT spread cancer cells
So sorry to read what you have been going through. I wouldn't worry about a stent spreading cancer, but I am sure you would rather not have one.

There is a LOT on this forum about BCG. There is quite a thread, for example, as the first listing under the topic "Non-invasive Bladder Cancer" here.

It is GOOD that the urologist is going to do an extensive TURB. You don't want him to miss ANYTHING. Many urologists do a first TURB and then, about three-six weeks later, a second. The first time they take samples for biopsy, of course, but by the second they have an even better idea of where problem areas might be and do a more thorough job. My first TURB showed papillary (low grade) and some areas of "irritation." When we went back a few weeks later, and the urologist paid special attention to the irritated areas, they turned out to be high grade CIS. I am grateful that these were found, as the outcome might have been quite different if they had not been.

As you will have read, BCG is NOT chemo where your entire body is exposed to the agent, but rather immunotherapy which is localized to the bladder. However, the bladder IS part of the body :P so over time you will probably have some systemic effects. I was very uncomfortable the afternoon of the installations (some people do go back to work...I couldn't have) and then, particularly the following day or so, there was fatigue. But I was able to go on about my usual life, and most people are. As the number of treatments you have add up, you will probably have more noticeable side effects, but it is very do-able. AND those side effects are telling you that your body IS reacting to the BCG with an immune response, which is exactly what you want to happen.

Do hope that you have finally found a urologist in whom you have confidence and whom you can talk to!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: kwhite65

10 years 3 months ago #45792 by nightmare
Female-no risk factors except my 50 year smoking father died of bladder cancer at age 72- one year after diagnosis. I am age 59-I was diagnosed April 15 with non- invasive, low grade papillary carcinoma. TURBT Apr 23 followed by ambulance to hospital the next day with extreme kidney pain. After week on Toradol sent home on oral dose of Toradol. Dr's best guess is he irritated ureter while looking for tumor. Pathology from 2 hospitals said Low Grade. THEY WERE WRONG. After 6 mos checkup showed 4 new tumors, I insisted original slides be sent to Dana Farber and Memorial Sloan Kettering for 3 and 4th opinions---they both agreed it is a High Grade tumor on Jan. 6. Now having moved to a strange city, I had to find a urologist who would see me immediately, and because I had unexpected bleeding for first time ever (with no precedure first), I had a cystoscopy yesterday which showed two more tumors---one where the original one was. New Dr said this time the TURBT would be more extensive, and I would have to have a catheter and maybe a stent---both of which I don't want for endless UTI risks and also possible spread of cancer cells into the ureter. BCG cannot start for 4 to 5 weeks. I've been unlucky (No kidding) in that I've seen 4 urologists in 3 states who do not like to answer questions. My questions: can the stent spread cancer cells and exactly how bad is the BCG treatment going to impact our lives, as we try to set up a new house in a new city---and all that goes with it.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne