Symptoms that we cannot figure out

16 years 7 months ago #8375 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Symptoms that we cannot figure out
Sorry to hear Vdaughter your dad having the COPD and the urologists not wanting to do the surgery. I had my surgery on 6/20 this summer and I was a smoker for 35 years with empysemia as a report on my MRI. After my surgery and I had just turned 53 they could not stabalize me my respirations were too short and my body temp had a hard time getting back to norm. But all I remember after coming to was the nurse telling me to wake up and breathe and then they finally let my wife come back and she was telling me the same Joe you gotta keep breathing you're not breathing right, I was actually starting to get mad I was so tired and they would not stop with this breathing thing. I forgot about this till I got out of the hospital and my wife told me and it started coming back to me. My wife is a nurse and she told me that she herself was starting to worry so that wasn't good. So I can see where this would not be a good idea with the COPD. They could give your dad some radiation you never know doing something is better then nothing but then you can't change a persons mind either. Wish you the best, Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 7 months ago #8372 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Symptoms that we cannot figure out
All good suggestions, especially hospice given the circumstances... but do push Dad, if you can to at least have his urine checked since both diabetes and UTI are quite treatable, and leaving them untreated will significantly decrease the quality of his life for the time he has left.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 7 months ago #8370 by Vdaughter
Replied by Vdaughter on topic Symptoms that we cannot figure out
Thank You! I am so thankful that I stumbled across this website!!! Everyone has been so helpful and kind! I will definately make the phone calls both to the Doctor suggested and also to hospice to find out what options we still may have. Thank you again for all of your help!

V

16 years 7 months ago #8367 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Symptoms that we cannot figure out
Vdaughter.....i understand the problems with COPD and why he couldn't withstand a long surgery under anesthesia...but there is a very good hospital in St. Louis..Barnes Jewish and Dr. Adam Kibel..his number is 314 747-7222. There might be trials going on that could help your father and there are some advances with COPD. It wouldn't hurt to look into it before you throw in the towel. Pat

16 years 7 months ago #8365 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Symptoms that we cannot figure out
Hi,

COPD is awful! not being able to breathe is bad enough without all of these other issues. My suggestion to you and your family would be to contact a Hospice in Missouri at: www.mohospice.org/ They can help your father and your whole family to understand and deal with these issues. Hospice does not have to be an in-patient facility, nor does it mean that he will die tomorrow. They are there for anyone who is facing an issue that will probably end their life in a specific time frame. They can send a nurse, or other workers to his home, to help with medications, and whatever other care is needed or becomes needed. They check his blood pressure, temp, etc...they will help get the necessary equipment (urinal so he doesn't have to get out of bed to pee, hospital bed if needed, walkers, canes, wheelchair)They are a great resourse for you and your family. Just give them a call or get in touch with the American Cancer Society at: www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp or by phone: 1-800-ACS-2345 they are available 24/7.

Good luck to you and your family,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 7 months ago #8363 by Vdaughter
Replied by Vdaughter on topic Symptoms that we cannot figure out
Thank you so much for your replies. My Dad's other health conditions are basically his lungs and he's overweight. He retired a few years ago and since then has gained around 100 pounds. He worked with chemicals for most of his life, so his lungs are not in good condition - I think they called it severe COPD. These are the reasons that three urologists said that they couldn't remove his bladder. They didn't think he would survive the surgery. The last urologist he went to said that he could try chemo, but basically he should enjoy what time he has left. So, that is pretty much what he has been doing, as much as possible. As of the last tests in June, the cancer has spread through the muscle wall and into his prostrate. The test showed that it had not invaded his lymph nodes yet, which was a huge relief. He does not want to see any more doctors and has made that completely clear with our entire family. So, for the most part...we're left in the dark with what to expect, what to be concerned with, basically everything. This website is a godsend, and I am so thankful for you taking the time to help me understand what is going on. My parents live in a small town in Southern Missouri and my brother & I both live about 5 hours away. We have been making trips to help out about every week or two since June. I just don't have any clue what to expect next, and I think with all of these strange things that has been going on with him...it just all makes me so nervous! I hope this all helps clarify my posting from last night. Thanks again for your help!

V

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne