cystectomy with no chemo??

15 years 11 months ago #17137 by mleigh
Replied by mleigh on topic cystectomy with no chemo??
Thanks to everyone for the info. It seems they didn't do chemo because his lymph nodes were clean from what I understand that is the deciding factor. To update, the biopsies confirmed that the cancer has spread to his liver and pelvic bone-the same areas that were noted as questionable on his pre-surgery scan. He is back out at Anderson now and just received his first round of chemo. My mom says he is doing well so far. We are just praying he will respond well. My parents have three other children, including a 12 yr old and a 9 yr old, so this is very tough to deal with. Obviously we can't turn back the clock but I can't help thinking about the "what if's" and wondering if we should have been more aggressive with his treatment. At this point we're just hoping and praying for a miracle.

On another topic, I would like to pack up a care package and send to my parents as they are staying in a hotel at Anderson for the next several weeks while chemo is going on. Does anyone have any suggestions of things that were really helpful to you during chemo, the little things that provided big comfort?

Thanks so much to you all. I have found this forum to be a source of comfort and hope in this difficult time and I am grateful for it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 11 months ago #17100 by PeterK
Replied by PeterK on topic cystectomy with no chemo??
I had R/C in 11/07 with no chemo with pre-op CT/tests as well as post-op path reports indicating no mets. No chemo. So far still clean. However, my pre-op bone scan showed an abnormality of the 7th rib, which did not turn out to be cancer. So far I have not had any problems and had a CT scan in 3/08 (post op) with no change in the rib abnormality.

I think some surgeons, including mine, avoid chemo if at all possible (cancer localized in the bladder) because it essentially a poison and really weakenings the system for surgury. Although I appear to be cancer free, I have often wondered if I would have been better off in the long term to not have mets if I had pre-op chemo. Oh well, water under the bridge. I hope your dad's biopsies are clean even though you indicate that mets are most likely.

Regards,

Peter Konomos

15 years 11 months ago #16873 by grampadonut
Replied by grampadonut on topic cystectomy with no chemo??
people keep saying" oh poor you , you have cancer"..and my answer is "I'M GOING TO LIVE"
please feel the people who arent as lucky as myself
i plan on seeing grandkids and putting abunch of miles on my harley !!! :-)

grampadonut
dx t2-g3
05/07/08

15 years 11 months ago #16871 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic cystectomy with no chemo??
And if no nerve sparing is possible the shot is wonderful!!! Ginger

15 years 11 months ago #16867 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic cystectomy with no chemo??

The prostate is the first place the cowardly cancer will spread to and hide in, so yes, it is almost a certainty your prostate will have to go as well.

Depending on your situation, you may qualify for nerve-sparing surgery (so you can have an erection afterwards). Ask about that.

It may seem like the bad news keeps piling up, but there is good news. You get to live. That counts for something.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

15 years 11 months ago #16866 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic cystectomy with no chemo??
With an r/c the prostate comes out, I have not read of anyone who kept the prostate, its standard procedure, unless someone here knows differently I believe I am correct.... Ginger

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne