What does it mean?

16 years 1 week ago #15925 by camelia3333
Replied by camelia3333 on topic What does it mean?
Thank you all for all of your support. We have recently had a setback with mom. I took her into the Emergency Room about 10 days ago at about midnight with a blood clot in her arm and they have caused her a great amount of pain. The doctors said the clot was from the chemo and they started her on Heparin. Little did we know, they injected the drug into her muscle instead of her blood stream. She is still in the hospital 14 days later and has extensive bruising that they have told us will last 4-6 weeks. I am really upset at the fact that nobody will help us and that I have made formal complaints on top of complaints and we are not getting anywhere. Right now, I am extremely sad and more aggravated than anything. I wish people would take a step back and look at what the world has come to, not the fact that someone has made a mistake, that is natural but the fact that they are making the entire family suffer by demanding we pay for their mistake with our time and money. I wonder how many doors we have to go through before someone starts listening and paying attention to us as human beings?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 weeks ago #15631 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic What does it mean?
Camelia, I don't know what it all means either. But for what it is worth my husbands bladder cancer has spread into his kidney and lungs. We are fortunate to live where a leading Thoracic Surgeon is doing Video Assisted lung surgery. She has removed the tumor from my husbands lung. She has done whole lobe removals with this technique and the recovery this surgery is so much better than the traditional lung surgery. His surgery was October 17 and he is sitting at the computer doing our taxes tonight.
I would say get second and even third opinions from an oncologist about your Mother. I know people who have survived years after Stage IV cancer. This does not happen for everyone but there are some who long outlive someone's prediction. We would be scared too if we had heard a prediction like that. What we were told is that many people in my husband's situation would have died. They don't know why he is still going but we are thankful. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

16 years 2 weeks ago #15604 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic What does it mean?
Camelia,

You are such a LOVELY girl and you look like you have a very sweet disposition; you remind me of my daughter. She was distraught when she first learned I had cancer in the spring of 2007. She didn't know how I would manage chemo and surgery (I'm such a whimp) but I did and so far, so good. My cancer was in the muscle tissue but I was fortunate enough to have caught it in time.

My daughter (22) and I both struggled at times with my diagnosis but over the weeks and months, we both realized we are a lot stronger than we could ever imagined we could be. We talked, prayed and cried together and as a result have a stronger bond between us that no one can take away. No one but God knows what time your dear mother has left. The doctors can only guess. Each day is a gift - unwrap yours knowing that you can help your mother by being supportive and helping her to make whatever time she has left as enjoyable as it can be.

I also lost my mother to cancer but I was 38...you are so young...I'm so sad you have this road to travel. I will add you and your mom to my prayer list. Please know that God knows when we are hurting and reach out to Him. Trust me when I say that no one can better understand your pain. He will help you through this trial...and use family and friends like us on the forum to hold your hand.
God Bless you and mom, Hugs. Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

16 years 2 weeks ago #15576 by mssmr
Replied by mssmr on topic What does it mean?
Hi, Camelia -- Last November when I learned my cancer had spread, I was shocked.
I wondered if I'd begin to be much sicker real soon, but I wasn't. In fact, with
treatment (chemotherapy and a second turbt) and good self-care, I was fortunate enough to feel better for the past five months than anytime since my initial diagnosis 14 months ago. I've posted a lot (and I'm on the storyboard), so details
of my journey thus far are available. In a nutshell, I've been continuing to work at my profession (college teaching full time) and have good quality time with family
and a few close friends. Just over the past two weeks, I've not felt quite so well(a cough and side ache)and I've slowed down and become more concerned again. But that doesn't change the fact that I've had five very good months.

I'll be thinking of you and your family and hoping for the best outcomes from
your mom's treatment -- in support -- Susan

16 years 2 weeks ago #15569 by cathy
Replied by cathy on topic What does it mean?
Camiela,
I am so sorry that the cancer has spread, I will be thinking of you & your family at this difficult time, I hope the chemo can offer your mum some more time & quaility of life, I will be praying for you,
Regards,
Cathy.

16 years 2 weeks ago #15536 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic What does it mean?
Camiela,

If you want to talk I am here. What hospital has been treating your mother? My husband who is 48yrs. old was diagnosed with Metastatic Bladder Cancer (meaning the cancer spread from the bladder to other sites). That was almost a year ago. He did 2 rounds of Chemo, and some radiation as well. The reason to do Chemo in the first place was to give us more time together. Initially my husband would have had only months without any treatment. It is a devastating diagnosis, I know. But there are things that can give more time, as well as better quality. There are drugs for pain relief, without the other side effects. I would be happy to answer any questions you have, to the best of my ability and knowledge.

With Best Wishes,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne