Where we are...Raw Emotions

16 years 3 weeks ago #15129 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Where we are...Raw Emotions
Thank you all for you replies...

I want you all to know that just because your spouse/mother/father/sibling/friend isn't expressing their feelings doesn't mean that the subject is off limits...It is a hard for some to talk...especially if it has always been this way in your relationship...but that doesn't mean that you can't. Whether you are the one with cancer, or a loved one looking on...start talking, open the lines of communication, if the lines have never been open I know it will be difficult...but it is the only way it is going to happen...Just tell them how you feel...getting those emotions to the surface is so important on this journey...It makes it possible to live...otherwise it is a daily routine of: "How are you Feeling?" "Do you need anything?" "Are you hungry?" and nothing else gets said...It is way to lonely for everyone involved...Just start today...Live like there is no tomorrow...As much as I am hurting right now, I would hate to not get the emotions out...They belong to both of us...share them with your loved one.

Praying for us all,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 3 weeks ago #15119 by bobmac2
Replied by bobmac2 on topic Where we are...Raw Emotions
I cried when I read your post this morning- I've waited this long to reply because I was & still am unsure of what to say but I so want to say something.

I'm glad that you have the ability to talk to each other about what is happening- as difficult as it is. Bob & I haven't talked about anything important in years- so we just ignore it. It won't be possible to ignore much longer I'm sure, but even then I can't imagine us talking about it.

I cried for you & your family but also for my husband, my family & myself because what you are dealing with now will soon be what we are going through. We don't know if treatments and/or surgery will be an option- we will know more after next week, when he has a PET scan.
You and your family are in my thoughts & prayers
Lorrie

16 years 3 weeks ago #15116 by marie
Replied by marie on topic Where we are...Raw Emotions
Dear Karen,
You and your family are in my prayers daily...(((((hugs))))) to you. I wish so much that there was something else that we could do. I wish you as much peace with this as possible.
Much love to you,
Marie

16 years 3 weeks ago #15115 by mssmr
Replied by mssmr on topic Where we are...Raw Emotions
Bless you, Karen -- I tremendously appreciate your generosity in posting this
very personal window into your family's battling journey. You are so articulate and passionate and your husband sounds like a wonderful man.

We are also "waiting for the next bomb to drop" as multiple mets are clearly visible in my liver and lungs. But I cannot engage my husband in a discussion;
he is a doer not a talker and he never complains when I ask for a little extra
help.

I really appreciate your plea for communicating with each other. The topic is
often touched upon but seldom with such articulate passion. As you know, my situation today (maybe not tomorrow) is a little different. I do feel well, but
still have pictures to prove my status as a person who will die from my cancer
unless an accident or unrelated medical emergency takes me first. My life
expectancy estimate last November was 6-12 months and the focus of my hope right
now is treatment that may reset the clock and give me another year or so. There
is also the risk that side effects will reduce my quality for the duration.

My heart goes out to you. One thing about the youngest child and memories of his father. I think showing family picutes and talking about them can form memories
powerfully. If you have a lot of family pictures, family story time could maybe be built around them sometimes. (I lost most of mine in Katrina, but some were spared and family members have been sharing others. They know the importance.) Both of
our sons have a copy of a picture of their Grandfather striding down the hall
at the school where he was a headmaster. Each has it displayed on the wall
in his home. Neither of them knew him at that stage of their lives, but that picture symbolizes their Grandfather to them.

Tonight is my "prayer warriors" night and you and my other web cafe friends will
be in our prayers again tonight --Susan

16 years 3 weeks ago #15111 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic Where we are...Raw Emotions
Karen,

Sending (((((HUGS)))))))) and volumes of prayer to you guys. You are in my thoughts daily - even when I am lacking the courage to post. With my current situation I struggle to respond sometimes.

God bless, Love, Holly

16 years 3 weeks ago #15104 by Leigh
Replied by Leigh on topic Where we are...Raw Emotions
Dear Karen,

I am happy you have a voice here at the forum with your fellow buddies.

You express yourself so well and are an inspiration to many and I thank you so much for sharing.

You and your husband and family are in my thoughts often and I wish you all, only the best on this journey.

Kind Thoughts,
Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007
RC/Neobladder ,Studer Pouch, September 2007
Erasmus Centrum Rotterdam
TNM Classification: pT4 N2 Mo
4 cycles aduvant chemo Gemzar & Cisplatinum

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne