Adjuvant Chemotherapy

16 years 3 months ago #12611 by Leigh
Replied by Leigh on topic Adjuvant Chemotherapy
Hi Wendy,

They removed 29 nodes in total and my cancer growth on intial cystoscopy was 2cm and after RC pathology 4/6cm with invasion into the fat layer and prostate.

It was described as a flat growth clasping around the outside of my bladder although inside the bladder as a cauliflower shape.

I am happy they continued the RC operation though...not sure how I would of felt waking up to be told it had gone too far....

Just shows you also CT scans cannot see everything especially when the cancer is speading it's nasty wings thinly and sneakily around the body....

Thanks for your support once more.

Kind Regards
Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007
RC/Neobladder ,Studer Pouch, September 2007
Erasmus Centrum Rotterdam
TNM Classification: pT4 N2 Mo
4 cycles aduvant chemo Gemzar & Cisplatinum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 3 months ago #12608 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Adjuvant Chemotherapy
Hi Leigh,
I'm glad to hear you're well underway. It's also nice to get the cisplatin on an in-patient basis, for the flushing, the preventative steroids, all that stuff. If you can stand being in the hospital overnight. I hate it myself, never can get any sleep, the beds, the roommates, yuck. But I have never had chemo. If I ever cross that path I'd like the options you've been given.

17 positive nodes out of how many removed? Just curious.

I wish you much success with this treatment. I know people who have had amazing results and are doing well.

Congratulations on finding a doctor you are happy with and who is working with you.

Take care,
Wendy

16 years 3 months ago #12607 by Leigh
Dear Wendy,

I am so happy we are back online with the forum as I tried to check the other couple of evenings and I had access to everything except the forum. It just made me realize how much support I gain from this forum. Two nights down felt like 2 weeks down...glad you just changed servers :)

With regard to adjuvant chemo in Holland it is indeed also published in information folders in the oncolgy waiting rooms that it is offered as a treatment for cancer.

My oncologist at the erasmus centrum in Rotterdam refused to offer the treatment as he had no clear evidence to prove it would give me a better chance. Which in a way is true as the trials are still running in Europe and he offered a few times if I wanted to participate and I declined.

Even the oncology board at the hospital refused to offer chemo. I thought also that maybe they assume my operation was a curative procedure because they removed everything. When I questioned my oncologist about that he said no and that he was suprised that on my last CT scan I did not have a spread of disease due to the 17 positive nodes....

Wendy I am so happy I found a great lady Oncologist in Gent in Belgium and my chemo is being offered at my local medical center. Her advise to me was that with my diagnosis I had a 20% chance of being here in 5 years time so I felt the more agressive path was for me... all things considered.

I started the chemo Tuesday this week and I had the Gemcitabine in out patients for 2 hours and thankfully had no reaction or side effects....although I am sure it is busy inside of me.

Wednesday this week I checked in for one night on the oncolgy ward and had the Cisplatinum. It started at 10:00 and finished at 10:00 today when I was released to come home. The Cisplatinum was delivered over 3 hours and I had all the other stuff before and after the chemo. Sickness meds Emend 80mg was offered through the IV along with 6mg Dexamethason and repeated at the end also. Also lots and lots of IV fluid to flush out my system.

Luckilly and thankfully I have had no side effects or reaction to the chemo...I think the other meds helped to keep the yucky feelings away. I have to take the meds mentioned above for two more days in tablet form.

I did however have a busy time walking to the loo every 30 minutes to empty my new bladder as capacity is 350ml and then the pain starts if I do not void. This kept me up all night and I had a few accidents in my sanitary pads. As the chemo is a progressive treatment and side effects may increase I will ask for a catheter next time so I can sleep the night away.

I do feel tired but I put that down to my 30 minute cat naps all night long and a snoring neighbour in the other bed :)

Off to bed for a few hours now.....

Kind Regards
Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007

16 years 3 months ago #12605 by Leigh
Dear Melodie,

Thanks for your message of kindess and support.

I started watching lots of funny movies and series lately...absolutely fabulous (english version) is keeping me in good swing at the moment.

Kind Regards
Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007

16 years 3 months ago #12566 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Adjuvant Chemotherapy
Hi Leigh,

I'm sorry, I've been out of the loop this past month or so, and am trying to catch up a little. When I read about the doctors not wanting to hand out chemo "like candy" to you, two things went through my mind, "Could it be they feel the involved nodes have been removed, which would mean they feel you are cancer free and don't want to treat something aggressively that can't be seen?" The other thing - I have noticed a different mind-set in Europe regarding chemo. I live in Holland, where you were told that chemo post-op with positive nodes is not necessary. I read the European journals and believe me, that's not what is being published! But as with your Belgian doctor, I've also noticed that some experts are less than exuberant about chemo for blc unless there is visible metastases. In the end it is the patient's decision. Patient preference is paramount in getting a good outcome, I truly believe this (non-scientific) statement.

By now you should be 2 days post your first treatment. Perhaps you are feeling side effects but maybe not...not everyone gets them! May you fall into that category.

BTW, the only way to determine if there are micro mets is a very thorough biopsy of the node. This isn't usually done aside from sentinel node biopsies, and that technique hasn't crossed over to bladder cancer yet, for whatever reason. Micro mets are 2mm and less in size and no existing scan can pin point that yet. (I know all this because I had a sentinel node biopsy with the mastectomy, that totally changed the outcome for me and led to a more aggressive approach, and better staging).

PETs are great, but I've been hearing/reading that CT/PETs are even better for finding mets. I saw they have this now at the Dutch cancer institute, where I was for my check up recently.

Where are you now? Sorry but the thread is long, and my attention span short today...and more importantly, how are you doing?

Happy new year to you too...
Wendy

16 years 3 months ago #12499 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic Adjuvant Chemotherapy
Leigh,

Just want to say I agree with all the positive comments already made about you; you will have your anxieties and fears but you also are very smart and courageous as indicated by your comments. I am sure those closest to you are very concerned and also in awe of your strength. You sound like a very positive type of person but just now it is tough for you to always feel that way. Try to find time for some feel good movies to help lift your spirits. I agree that having chemo sounds like a wise decision if only you can get the doctors approval. Best of luck to you. I have added you to my prayer list. Take care and stay strong! Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne