Penile Implant

16 years 6 months ago #9043 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Penile Implant

I think so, although it's difficult to separate the two. You'll have an activate/deactivate bulb installed in your scrotum, a saline reservoir installed somewhere else, and the cuff.

Really, I'm pretty sure that the implant that George also has--the IPP--was the painful part, not the I(no)PP.

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #9042 by gholmes1936
Replied by gholmes1936 on topic Penile Implant
Hey, it's been one day over three (3) weeks since I had my penile implant operation. The doc saw me on Tuesday the 16th and said all looks good. Still trying to find out the best way to sit down since some of the apparatus seems to get in the way. Just not use to the extra bulk in there. Pain is all gone, not even minor discomfort. The bulk of the implant that is actually inside the penis makes it more stiff than it use to be when flaccid, almost "serviceable"! ;)

Doc said to see him in a month and at that time we would try it out. He'd give me private flying lessons, as it were.

;D g'day,
George in Texas

George Holmes
Austin, Tx

16 years 6 months ago #9041 by timb
Replied by timb on topic Penile Implant
zach
am going to ask about the implant again. actually i had a consulatation the other day and it wasn't my usual person so i didn't want to ask. I may make a special call. it does sound goo. what' the surgery like? you had it as part of a combo so I imagine it's probably fairly minor just to get the cuff implant?

tim

16 years 6 months ago #8862 by gholmes1936
Replied by gholmes1936 on topic Penile Implant
Hanged if I know which model I got. right now it feels like the parts came from the local hardware store. ;)

George Holmes
Austin, Tx

16 years 6 months ago #8861 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Penile Implant
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but your point can be applied to many quality of life issues. I had to find a new urologist because my friend who treated my cancer thought that my being cancer free for 6½ years was so important that a month of pain from a urethral stricture problem was of no consequence. My biggest fear was that it would happen again and that he wouldn't be dealing with it. As it happens, it did happen again, and now we'll have to see if the new urologist's approach is any better.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 6 months ago #8860 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Penile Implant

Tim, when I tried to type "artificial sphincter" I misspelled "sphincter" and the spell-check helpfully suggested "spinster" as a correction.

Talk to your urologist about it. I am so freaking happy with mine. I never worry about waking up on the "moist side". I feel a slight bladder pressure early in the morning when I have to go, and that's it. During the daytime I push a secret button and deactivate it and turn it back on right before bed.

I think many doctors are (rightly) concentrating on getting us through our cancer, and (wrongly) not paying enough attention to our after-surgery lives. This is where we have to bug them a bit. Twenty years of wetting the bed didn't sound good to me, and definitely not to my wife, who makes the bed....

Some of us will just never regain 100% nighttime continence. That's just a fact of life, and no matter how many kegels we do, or how often we set the alarm during the night, instead of waking up dry and happy we're going to wake up...well... pissed. :)

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne