What do I need?

12 years 8 months ago #38912 by GroundedFlyer
Replied by GroundedFlyer on topic What do I need?
There’s no stopping the mucus. I guess it is so slick that when it settles to the bottom of the bladder that it just slithers out. Other than that, I seem to be adapting to a two-hour daytime schedule of emptying the neobladder with only some intermittent dribbling. Yield is between 150 and 200 ml every two hours with a good amount of mucus.

Nighttime is another story. I am sleeping so much better since the catheter was removed that I sleep through the alarm for an hour or more with the expected results. Thank goodness for the waterproof bed pads!

The heat wave has finally broken and I have been able to get out and walk. I get tired but feel better after a nap. I don’t know how I’m going to handle that when I have to go back to work in a few weeks.

Thanks to all for the helpful information and advice from all the members of the group.

Flyer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago #38796 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic What do I need?
Flyer,

Congrats!!!! You will quickly work out cthe depends and pads (as Bill instructed)

Sounds like you are doing great though! Takes a while to control that dribble and it will get frustrating but you are well on your way. Keep up the kegels and all will be well soon.

This time now is your 'investment' in your future. Given the current market it is probably the nest investment going right now!

Hang in there!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

12 years 8 months ago #38795 by BillM
Replied by BillM on topic What do I need?
Congrats Flyer!

That cath turns into a ball and chain! Kegels kegels kegels!!! When using a Depends use your undies, not boxers, to hold it up, they will also help at night. And remember your undies will work just fine for the bad too, just keep the front up to the elastic! Moving around can start rolling it down a little, and if it rolls too far, the tape starts grabbing things….

Bill

5.24.10 Final staging T2G3 7.28.10 Started Gemcitabine, Cisplatin neoadjunctive chemotherapy
11.2.10 RC with NEO 11.18.11 First year CT shows possible liver tumor
12.8.11 Confirmation of TCC BC mets to the liver 6.27.12 Final round of Dose Dense MVAC
7.26.12 Final scans showed no tumor or no...

12 years 8 months ago #38794 by GroundedFlyer
Hallelujah! The catheter is gone and I feel 100 percent better even though I’m damp. Got a good bill of health from the doctor; everything is healing well and he says the minor irritations I’m having should clear up in the next month.

The diapers and pads are going to take some getting used to. The hospital provided four pads and a pair of what appear to be fish net panties to hold one in place. That worked about as expected and the pad was soaked by the time I got home.

Put on a l/XL Depends and headed for the drug store to fill a script and ended up having to hold it up to keep it from sliding off my butt and down my pant leg. The smaller version seems to be hanging in there.

I seem to be constantly dribbling but do have some accumulation about every hour or so. When I squeeze down it seems to void normally.

I guess I just need to dip into that huge box of patience that was delivered today.

Flyer

12 years 9 months ago #38767 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic What do I need?
Flyer

The confusion was my own fault. Lots going on at work and I'm often checking and posting from my phone sporadically through the day.

Using the big bag for the meeting would certainly cast some light on your situation. Let us know the look on their face. Wish you could post a picture of that! :)

Your doc will probably give you a note to help with the leave extension as well.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

12 years 9 months ago #38765 by GroundedFlyer
Duct tape! Why didn’t I think of that? I wonder if WD-40 would work on the constipation.

Sorry to have caused so much confusion in an effort for brevity. I do have a neobladder. Although I live in Louisville, KY, the surgery was done at Indiana University Health in Indianapolis, where the original Indy pouch was developed. I chose to go there because my local uro wasn’t as concerned about nerve damage as was Dr. Michael Koch, who performed the operation. From some of the stirrings I’ve had in the region, I believe he was successful.

To further compound the confusion, I work in southern Indiana. That’s where I was going when the dam burst. I’m going to try again today but with the 2-liter collection bag. That may be a more effective prop to advance my case to get another month of medical leave.

By this time tomorrow, I will be back in Indy for CT scans and catheter removal to start phase 2 of the recovery.

Thanks for all of your responses. I look forward to reading the new posts.

Flyer

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne