What\'s worked for night time continence

13 years 8 months ago #33286 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic What\'s worked for night time continence
Redfred
I certainly apologize. I don’t know which to use as an excuse- advanced years or stupidity (tho I’m leaning toward advanced years). I was so excited to find that you were also from May that I completely forgot that your neo is quite different from my conduit. I’d like to retain the kindred spirit label since we are both members of the May 2010 “graduating class”. It is my hope that you will continue in good health and happiness.
Sincerely
Motomike

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago #33263 by FarRed
Replied by FarRed on topic What\'s worked for night time continence
I take it they didn't give you a neo bladder?

Bladder cancer diagnosed Mar, 2010.
Robotic assisted laproscopic cystoprostatectomy with Studer neo-bladder, 2010.
UMC Tucson

13 years 8 months ago #33261 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic What\'s worked for night time continence
Farred
I feel like a kindred spirit since my RC was just 6 days after yours. Like you, I’ve been dealing with untimely nighttime pouch fills. Due to constipation I must drink lots of water. At 2 or 3 a.m. I stand up to send the urine to the floor collection container. Knowing the bag is empty allows me to go back to sleep till 5 a.m. or so. I have to vent the collection container to allow the 2nd bag to flow. I’m sure the collection system is designed without a vent for odor control but I’ve not found a better way to overcome the natural vacuum (yet).

I now sleep on a small sofa to force me to sleep on my left side. This keeps me from fouling the drain tube or crushing the bag.

I’m sure some of the old timers with the bag will post their sleeping techniques.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

13 years 9 months ago #33101 by Humpy
Replied by Humpy on topic What\'s worked for night time continence
Red, You may want to ask your doctor/surgeon about about a perscription for physical therapy for pelvic floor muscles. I went for 14 weeks. It really helped alot. It helped build confidence.

As far as the exercises, I would do them twice a day while in therapy, and about 3 months after. I only do them (roll ins/outs) once a day now.

Roll in's: (ball) squeeze in, count to 10, relax 5. 10 times
Roll outs: (band) pull out, count to 10, relax 5. 10 times
Kegels: hold for 10, relax 5. 10 times
Bridges: thrust up, hold for 10, 30 times

Age 54
T1NOMX,Grade 3 Urothelial CIS (Carcinoma in Situ)
Neobladder 5/19/2009
Prostate Capsule Sparing
U of M Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan

13 years 9 months ago #33099 by FarRed
Replied by FarRed on topic What\'s worked for night time continence
Any suggestions as to how often to do these exercises?

Bladder cancer diagnosed Mar, 2010.
Robotic assisted laproscopic cystoprostatectomy with Studer neo-bladder, 2010.
UMC Tucson

13 years 9 months ago #33091 by LeeH
Replied by LeeH on topic What\'s worked for night time continence
It does take some time and I have noticed it is kind of a dog chasing its tail process. As you begin to gain night control, you will sleep longer which will still have your neo doing its thing so it seems like you are not making progress but if you look closely, you really are getting better. Eventually you start to wake up before your neo lets go or during and it eventually becomes more reliable. Its frustrating, but keep doing the execises and hang in there.

Lee

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne