New Bladder Cancer Pt

14 years 10 months ago #26006 by DoninRichmond
Replied by DoninRichmond on topic New Bladder Cancer Pt
;) Well, I had my 2nd BCG treatment Friday. This time they used the "numbing-gel" first, this time, which took the edge off, but was still painful.

They use a size 16-cath, as they said that 12's had a difficult time allowing the BCG to pass thru???????

I was given two pain medications this time, to take home. 1) turns your body waste "orange" and both times I took one I got a heck of a head-ache (which is one of the stated side-affects). Not taking any more, of this one. 2) is VesiCare (1 per/day) and I really do not remember why I was given this one, so I'll ask next week when I go back for BCG #3.

The saga continues.

Thanks for the thoughts, prayers, and info. God Bless!

Bill Jr
Tumor removed 5/4/09
\"T1 high-grade\"
Started \"BCG\" 5/21/09
Have a 2-yr treatment schedule
The topic has been locked.
14 years 10 months ago #26003 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic New Bladder Cancer Pt
Bill,

Melodie here. So glad to see you made it here to the forum and have all kinds of wonderful folks addressing your questions and concerns. Some of our doctors are good and try to respond to questions but no one knows what BC is like and what to expect, better than those of us who have been there. So pleased to see you are getting so much detailed info. in regard to your issues with BCG. It is especially tough for you just now, but things should get easier. Just keep in mind that many have proceeded you on this journey and just as they have done, you too will find the strength to do what needs to be done. Have faith. Take care and say Hi to Bruce for me. Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright
14 years 11 months ago #25931 by michstate89
Replied by michstate89 on topic New Bladder Cancer Pt
Bill,

I go to outpatient oncology unit at the local hospital and they use a smaller catheter (#12) and use a coude catheter, not a foley - specially curved to get past the prostate. All they have to do is instill the BCG then pull the catheter out (don't need a large one for that), they just have to be sure it doesn't double back. Might be worth asking about.

I have not had any difficulties with catheters or cystos though - a little pain but not unbearable.

Ross

Ross M
TaG1 March 06
Recurrence Jan 07
BCG Maintenance after 6 week treatment
14 years 11 months ago #25927 by DoninRichmond
Replied by DoninRichmond on topic New Bladder Cancer Pt
:silly: Thanks folks for the replys. Your info has helped a lot.

My "Uro" has much experience w/Bladder Cancer. My wife is an "OR-RN" and manager of the OR's & Recovery Rooms at the hospital, I had the surgery, so I am pretty comfortable with him.

A Nurse Practitioner (sp) at his office, specializes in the "BCG-treatments", although I am going to insist on the numbing-gel, next time. I had my first BCG last Thursday, so I have 20-treatments left: 1 per wk for 6-wks, then every 3-months, i get 1 per week for three-wks, for 2-years.

Additionally, I will get a "cysto" every 3-months for at least 2-years. Thank the LORD for insurance.

Found an interesting site today: bladdercancerwarrior.com

God Bless!

Bill Jr
Tumor removed 5/4/09
\"T1 high-grade\"
Started \"BCG\" 5/21/09
Have a 2-yr treatment schedule
14 years 11 months ago #25916 by alsimons
Replied by alsimons on topic New Bladder Cancer Pt
Hi Bill

Sorry you have joined the club. Not much you can do about the discomfort of having large objects passed through a smaller hole. I had one Uro who suggested I beath out and wiggle my toes when it hits the prostrate. Like everyone has said here there is a weath of information you can learn from the people on this site. Just remember you are not alone and feel free to ask.

Good luck and wishing you the best.

Al
14 years 11 months ago #25912 by Moonerj
Replied by Moonerj on topic New Bladder Cancer Pt
Hi Bill

The people on this wonderful site convinced me to get a 2nd opinion, even though I was very happy with my Uro. I asked my Uro, he agreed everyone should get a 2nd opinion, and he referred me to one of the top Uro's at the top cancer hospital in Canada. My 2nd opinion came back with the same dx and agreed with my treatment regime. This has now given me even more confidence in my Uro. So I too am a big advocate of 2nd opinions.
I wish you the best,
Jack

TA Grade 1
3 Turbts
30 BCG Treatments
Cancer Free since Nov 2007
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne