Update on Michael's Radical Cystectomy

16 years 5 months ago #9654 by Wayne
Replied by Wayne on topic Update on Michael's Radical Cystectomy
Eileen

Did you get my PM?

Age 45 * Electrician * Wife Patty 43 * Son Danny 23 *
Muscle Invasive High Grade

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #9648 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Update on Michael's Radical Cystectomy
Warren, I totally agree, we all take things differently but the idea here is to be supportive, we don't need any back alley brawling going on, afterall these are serious issues, bladder cancer has changed our lives, sharing our experiences personally should be a good thing!!! Ginger

16 years 5 months ago #9646 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Update on Michael's Radical Cystectomy
Dear Karen & others afraid to speak their minds:
     I see that a section for caregivers has just opened, and that's great, but I'm concerned that some will still hold back when what they really want to do is SCREAM! From what I've seen since joining, this is generally a caring, supportive group, although I have occasionally been surprised to see a discussion get a little hot under the collar and even degenerate into name calling. The thing to remember is that even when we don't like or agree with what someone said, it was probably said in a spirit of sharing and an effort to help.
     One problem is that we can only see words. We're left to fill in the emotions and facial expressions behind the words... and sometimes what we pick depends on our own mood or issues.
    There's a whole range of people chiming in - some who've been through or are going through what you're going through and could say, "That's exactly how I felt (feel)!", some who have regrets about the way they felt or acted and think they can spare you their regrets, some who have lost loved ones and would sooner go back to the dark days of treatment and recovery than be without them and would rather feel your pain than theirs, and some who truly have no clue where you're at.
    If the advice doesn't help, discard it, and don't take it personally. When it comes to what you're going through or feeling, you should feel free to speak your mind and don't worry about being judged. Anyone who would be judgmental is dealing with his own issues... not yours. When it comes to what others are going through, of course tread more lightly. You know how it feels to be hurt.
    Just keep in mind that the person offering advice is also walking a fine line not knowing how his words will land on your ears (or eyes in this case). I see this all the time as a pediatrician. Whenever I tell a mother of a sick kid that her child is okay I have to consider whether my words reassure the mother, dismiss her concerns, or close the door to further discussion or reevaluation. They're the same words, and I always say them gently, but sometimes they miss their mark

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 5 months ago #9634 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic Update on Michael's Radical Cystectomy
Hi, Eileen....I'm glad I found this thread so I could put this reply where it belongs:
Hi, Eileen...
The one thing that you may notice is that things will get messy for a while. Messy as in big piles of undone "stuff" like piles of paper, bags of medical supplies, counters full of Rx's and bottles and tubes. Messy as in cards from friends, telephone messages, unfolded clothes. Messy as in not put away the way you want them to be. And it will bother you probably more than your husband.

And it will get put away finally, probably in one big sweep, after he's down to only his stoma and a catheter. And it will feel great.

And then it will start again, with some other medical visit, and you will feel that you've made NO progress at all.

And so it goes. Just let it pile up, and when you have bigger piles, it will look better when it's clean. Like that folk tale of making the house feel bigger by bringing in lots of people.

Stephany in Iowa

16 years 5 months ago #9631 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Update on Michael's Radical Cystectomy
Good Luck with the surgery and I hope all goes well and the same with the recovery. Joe

16 years 5 months ago #9629 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Update on Michael's Radical Cystectomy
Eileen and Mike,
Glad to hear your pre-op appointment went well. I am sure the info you received was eye opening for you as it refers to your type procedure with your surgeons protocol. My husband had an 6 hour surgery with a outside bag diversion, Dr. Campbell does things differently than other surgeons therefore the differation of tubes, caths going home. Its a personal thing in each patients surgery. We experienced all kinds of issues not like the ones read on the forum, it just made me feel its the result of Dr. Campbells protocol. I am glad it went well and good luck next week, the waiting is the worst, soon you'll be in recovery. Ginger

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne