brand of outside pouch

16 years 7 months ago #7787 by bens_paula
Replied by bens_paula on topic brand of outside pouch
my husband was sent home from hosp. with hollister brand, and we called all the other companies and got free samples of all sorts..he still uses the hollister, but is beginning to have leaks frequently. his ostomy is only 2 months new, and changes shape and size almost daily! he uses the 2 piece systems too, and only has to change wafer about every 4 days and changes pouch every 3 days. he went into surgery expecting a neo-bladder, but when they saw the nodes full of cancer, gave him the ostomy instead and is now undergoing chemo. he recovered fairly quickly from the operation, it lasted 7 hours, but the chemo is kicking his butt!! he is very anemic at the moment, but getting a transfusion in the morning, so i expect he will feel much better then...
good luck and God bless!!
paula

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 7 months ago #7780 by Martha
Replied by Martha on topic brand of outside pouch
Have you tried the Cymed Microskin pouches? I tried nearly every brand after my surgery in October 2006. While I was inactive, the Convatec and Hollister seemed to work but, the more active I became, the less they stayed in place. Cymed is easy to apply and stays on really well. Have only had two leaks since I have been using them and those were due to application error. They are a little more expensive but well worth it to me.
Martha

16 years 7 months ago #7760 by New2This
Replied by New2This on topic brand of outside pouch
Thanks Rick, I'll print this out for my husband.

16 years 7 months ago #7757 by RAH
Replied by RAH on topic brand of outside pouch
I went through ten different types of Hollister skin barriers and only two pouches.
I found three types that I really like (I chose the one that was the least expensive to my insurance company and myself). I use the two piece. I press down on the skin barrier to insure a seal before I connect the bag.
My skin barrier last 4-6 days. I now change them after 4 days because the hair growth starts to itch real bad after day four.

For me besides the sticking of the skin barrier, there are two other factors that were important to me: 1. how big the skin barrier surface is. I personally like the smaller pads. The larger surface covering barriers causes me to shave more area (this provides more area for itching as the hairs grow back), and overlaps into my belly button. 2. The fuzzy surface on the outside of the skin barrier. I lightly scratch, especially at night, the soft outside surface of some pads create this fuzz. It bugs me.
The bag I chose has soft surface on the back, but soft plastic surface on the front (so no fuzz produced). Since I found what I like from Hollister, I didn’t need to go to any other company.

I called Hollister and talked to one of their people. This was a great help. Now if I have any questions, I (really now it is my wife that calls) we talk to the person that is familiar with my case. Hollister sent me three samples of every kind because I asked.
I went to my Urostomy Nurse three times after surgery to test fit the barriers. What we found is since I was loosing weight, one type that didn't leak for the first couple of weeks now leaked.
Good Testing - Rick

16 years 7 months ago #7755 by New2This
Replied by New2This on topic brand of outside pouch
Thanks for the info and we will check it out.

16 years 7 months ago #7754 by clur
Replied by clur on topic brand of outside pouch
hi
After a bit of trial and error I get on really well with Convatec esteem.I use their one piece system its a bit less bulky and seems to stick really well.Most supliers will send you free samples to try and I must admit to trying just about everything on the market before settling with this.
My advice would be to get on the websites of the various manufacturers and to have a play about to find out whats best for your husband.Lots of them have great free support lines which I found really helpful.
Good luck and try and stay patient there will be the right system there some where
Love Claire x

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne