Decision made... Radical Cysto...

14 years 2 months ago #30508 by Humpy
Replied by Humpy on topic Decision made... Radical Cysto...
I lost 23lbs, but have gained it back plus a bit.
But then again, I quit smoking also. Coming up on
one year for that. Never thought I could do it!!!!
St. Patty's day is the 17th, my mothers Bday.
Anyway, best of luck, you made the correct choice.
Jim

Age 54
T1NOMX,Grade 3 Urothelial CIS (Carcinoma in Situ)
Neobladder 5/19/2009
Prostate Capsule Sparing
U of M Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 2 months ago #30507 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Decision made... Radical Cysto...
Hox..don't worry about taking off the weight before surgery...you'll lose it after. Your appetite will change and it will take a while for your bowels to adjust. I actually put on l5lbs before surgery as they told me to expect to lose 20 lbs after and i did.
As for your friend with Stage IV bladder cancer i'd sure like to know his surgeon and oncologist......
Stage 4 bladder cancer means that the cancer has become metastatic and has spread to other organs in your body
The size of the tumor rarely has anything to do with Stage and Grade. I've seen baseball sized be a T1 tumor and i had a small 1cm tumor that had already gone into my muscle..so go figure.
And i'm pretty sure St. Patty's day is March 17th...my brothers birthday.....Please show up for surgery on the right day!! :silly:
pat

14 years 2 months ago #30506 by Hox
Replied by Hox on topic Decision made... Radical Cysto...
Thank you all for your kind comments and support. My surgery date is March 27...St Patty day... and I am not looking forward to the immediate aftermath but knowing all of you have walked that path before me is comforting in ways that are hard to describe. Talked to a local tonight...he was 42 and stage 4 when they found a tangerine size tumor... now, 7 or so years later his life is full, happy and he continues in good health. 99% continent... Told me some of the downside...one for him was weight loss of 20 lbs... as I have 30 to lose I hoping to drop 10 in the next 20 days so I can resume my swimsuit modeling career... and have I got a bridge to sell you if you buy that... Today is a good day and I am truly one of the lucky ones... Hox

Rick

14 years 2 months ago #30499 by Humpy
Replied by Humpy on topic Decision made... Radical Cysto...
We are all living proof that you made the right choice.

Age 54
T1NOMX,Grade 3 Urothelial CIS (Carcinoma in Situ)
Neobladder 5/19/2009
Prostate Capsule Sparing
U of M Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan

14 years 2 months ago #30496 by dukel
Replied by dukel on topic Decision made... Radical Cysto...
Hox; In a perfect world none of us would have to make these
decisions. But i hope it's the right decision for you. I know for me it was the right one. I only had about one month that was really tough, after that it got better every day. Hope it goes even better for you.
Wishing you the best.
Duke

14 years 2 months ago #30495 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Decision made... Radical Cysto...
I think you made a wise decision. If planning for a neobladder you can start the exercises now to strengthen the pelvic floor muscle. This brings continence sooner. As Webs said already: walk, walk, walk even when you feel too crappy, still force yourself to do it. That and Gum chewing are the main things you can do to get the intestines to recover.

Sure sounds like a lot of time in the hospital!
I had an ileus complication and was in for 12 days but that is not common. Average is in the 5-7 day range.

Best of luck on surgery!

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne