Back Home and Lessons Learned from blockages

14 years 4 months ago #29116 by Webs
Just to add to the corroboration. When I was hospitalized last year they placed a foley and I thought nothing of it. I was pretty out of it because I had just had chemo that day. I remember that I had a lot of pressure, but not thinking of it. About 9 that night I felt a pop and then I had urine leaking everywhere. The nurse came in and said the foley balloon had popped. She had never had that happen before. After reading your story I am betting nothing was coming out and the pressure finally got to much for the foley balloon.

Weird! :blink:

Webs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 5 months ago #29055 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Back Home and Lessons Learned from blockages
I had my medical supply place order in a Foley non-latex just so i could see what it looked like......The eyes are exactly the same as the regular 14" french that i use so you know they are going to get plugged up. I couldn't figure out the balloon thingy anyway!! So i'm sure if i had to do the placement it would be a disaster not to say they wouldn't mess it up also!! Well its on my list to ask surgeon in Cleveland this Tuesday!!
Pat

14 years 5 months ago #29049 by mmc
Thanks KC. That sounds like a good idea!

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 5 months ago #29048 by kcnorthstar
Replied by kcnorthstar on topic Back Home and Lessons Learned from blockages
Mike,

Glad to hear you are home from the hospital.

After my neobladder surgery, I was told that in the future if I ever needed a foley that is should be backflushed every 4 hours and that urine output should be carefully monitored. I carry an emergency medical info card in my wallet with those instructions.

KC

Age 59
DX Jan 2006 - T1B G3
RC - Neobladder June 2006

14 years 5 months ago #29042 by mmc
Hmmmm! This sounds like enough corroboration that this should be on the list for all folks with pouch or neobladder to be aware of.

If I was at 1000cc, how much further could it have gone without some serious consequence?

I wonder if the holes are smaller in foley tip or if they should be using the foley that has the extra irrigation port hooked up? Maybe the internal diameter of the catheter is too small to allow for mucous?

In any case, I would suggest catheterization prior to surgery and most certainly a note for catheterization after surgery.
Even if you use a catheter more than onece at home, only use each one once in the hospital. There are a lot more germs in the hospital so never reuse a catheter while in the hospital.

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 5 months ago #29041 by GKLINE
You know, these hospital stays always seem to turn into educational sessions. This is education the hard way.
Glad you are home Mike. Now. Get Better! That's an order!

With Love
George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne