Disability

14 years 9 months ago #26837 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Disability
forget the disability......get a re-do from a qualified surgeon and have your neo converted to an ileal conduit........life will be good!
If you need help finding that surgeon let me know where you are.
Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 9 months ago #26836 by Gracie
Replied by Gracie on topic Disability
There are attorneys that specialize in this area. The fees that they can charge are limited by law (pretty much like Workers Comp). Since the Social Security system (as any government entity!) can be daunting - it is usually recommended to have representation.

I also have heard of a company called Allsup that do this I believe exclusively. I'm sure there is an 800 number for them. Check them out as well. From what I've heard they are a very professional organization.

Also I believe that most cases are initially denied but often granted on appeal. Again - I would think that representation would help you a lot.

Best of luck.

Gracie

14 years 9 months ago #26834 by kittylee
Replied by kittylee on topic Disability
Just in case anyone is viewing this thread from the disability title, I'd like to add this. My husband has stage 4 with distant mets. This site was VERY helpful when I asked (in chat) the question about disablity for his stage. The COMPASSIONATE ALLOWANCES part of the disability was super fast and immediate, about 2 weeks to approval!!! Be prepared to say that the diagnosis should result in death within 12 months, though, as tough as that may be. ( AND say that you want to apply under compassionate allowances, but only if you have stage 4 with distant mets) This may be need to be moved to Metastatic forum but I wanted to weigh in on the disability issue.

I am a caregiver to my wonderful husband, Ron
10/04 Multiple T1G3 - TURBT & 3 yrs BCG -
9/08 Invasive BLC w/distant mets
11/08 - 3/09 Gemzar/Cisplatin chemo regimen
4/09 Radiation to bone mets
6/09 lung and liver met progression - start ITP chemo
10/09 My darling Ron passed away

14 years 9 months ago #26826 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic Disability
Hi,

Stage 3 bladder cancer IS a disability under the Social Security Admin. However, they will deny you if you are expected to be back to work within a year of Dx. In my case, I was initially denied as I had hoped to get back to work, but approved on appeal as I have not been able to return to work. Do not hesitate to get a lawyer who deals with just SS diasability. Also be sure to ask how they get paid before you sign papers.
Good luck to you, Holly

14 years 9 months ago #26821 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Disability
The disability standards are very high. You would need a Doctor's statement that your are not able to work do to the incontinence. That it substantially interferes with your activities of daily living. Most people get turned down at the first application. There is an appeal process the second appeal is a review of the application and you can provide more evidence. If you get turned down a second time the third appeal goes to a judge that specializes in ruling on disability applications.

Are there other issues that affect your ability to work? if so include those as sometimes it is the combination of factors that may gain disability when one of them would not.

I don't know the statistics on incontinence but i think it is high. The Doctor would need to explain why your situation is more disabling. Also your medical records will be requested and they need to substantiate your claim.

So your first step is to consult your Dr. to find out what they think about your ability to work.
Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #26818 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Disability
Kelly,

I'm not sure about the disability claim portion of your question.

However, it seems that you may want to see if your urologist can change your neobladder to an Indiana pouch or some other urinary diversion so you don't have this problem. That way you won't be in the disability situation at all.

Your posting will most likely get moved to another section of the web site as this section is usually for posting links to published articles about bladder cancer. Once it gets moved to someplace like "Invasive", there is a probability that more people will see it and be able to respond.

Best of luck!
Mike

P.S. Your uroligist should know if people have been able to successfully claim disability for your situation. Most (if not all) disability claims require information from a doctor.

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne