OK its my turn to get advise...arrrgh

14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #26426 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic OK its my turn to get advise...arrrgh
Pat,

When ever I am being put out I bring my own supply's and do an indwelling w/bedside bag just in case. I also write up instructions on how to care for an Indiana if I was out for some reason and could not do it. I always get the feeling they think I am being overly concerned but it is my body and I don't want anyone forgetting and trying to cath me since I no longer have a urethra.
You have concerns so go over them with your doctor and remind them of your situation having had an RC. Maybe putting a call in to talk it over before your procedure might be a good idea.
FYI whenever I have intestinal problems my pouch tends to act up. My thought right or wrong is that it is made of intestine so it makes since, but it is just my theory.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society
The topic has been locked.
14 years 10 months ago #26419 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic OK its my turn to get advise...arrrgh
Pat, Very, very good questions! I hope someone here can respond to them. It would make me very edgy to go through that procedure without having answers to those questions. And I suspect that dear Hal is just doing the best he can given the situation...glad you like the doctor but I think for your own peace of mind we need those questions answered...sure hope things get figured out soon. Hugs, Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright
14 years 10 months ago #26418 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic OK its my turn to get advise...arrrgh
I think anyone who has had cystectomy with formation of a pouch and the loss of so much intestine has some form of IBS occasionally...its the nature of the beast.
But i do have a question...anyone have a colonoscopy after reconstruction? Any problems? What about all those staples in there...any chance he could puncture my Indiana?....What about the pouch? I know the test is only about 20 mins or so but what if my pouch fills up and i'm out cold for some reason...should a stoma nurse be available? Some of my more stupid questions! Anyone got an answer? Since Hal is still acting like a big baby and deciding to wet the bed every night and spewing mucus and in general being very contrary...my entire routine has been thrown off. BAD HAL!:S
Pat
14 years 10 months ago #26400 by harleygirl
Replied by harleygirl on topic OK its my turn to get advise...arrrgh
Sounds like IBS to me. When they do every test imaginable and can't find anything, then you get the diagnosis of IBS. I've experienced that same pain you described for years now. Every test is normal. IBS. Not much they can do for that except prescribe more fiber. Hope you don't have IBS but something they can "fix"!
14 years 10 months ago #26396 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic OK its my turn to get advise...arrrgh
Pat,

If the pain moved along like that, I tend to think it was not really a partial blockages. I don't think they move like that. At least mine doesn't. The pain is focussed, in waves, and in the very spot my ileus was stapled back together. Once it starts to clear, the pain gets less, stays in waves, and eventually goes away. No diareah or constipation associated with it. During the full blockage, I have no actual bowel movements but once it clears, things return to normal.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...
14 years 10 months ago #26394 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic OK its my turn to get advise...arrrgh
Just saw my new gastroenterologist...i liked him. He's listed as one of the Top gastro's in the city.....but then so was my husbands cardiologist and that didn't work out too well. Anyway...he said a partial blockage should show up but doesn't always....ok thats really definitive.......but since i'm passing something it could mean about anything. At first he thought infection but then as i told him how the pain had progressed from lower to mid abdomen and now diarhea he changed his mind.....SO....colonoscopy being set up to see if its blood supply, polyps, or just a mean old colon. In the meantime "Hal" has reverted to being a colon again...talk about bi-polar disease....really. If my regualar colon has diarhea Hal thinks its his duty to produce tons of mucus and block my catheter. I guess its time for a little talk.
Talked to the radiologist tech on duty at the hospital about the side effects of Isovue-370 and he said in 30 yrs of being a tech he never heard of them? I offered to send him the data sheet...he wasn't impressed.
So now i have to see my internist and figure out what to do about my stiff neck and pain in the back of my head or not........
Patricia..the doctors nightmare!
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne