Bummer...

16 years 3 weeks ago #15212 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic Bummer...
Gracie,

Sorry I didn't respond to your note earlier but I just put in my first 40 hour work week after being off from work on disability for almost a year. I see from your notes that you were to see your doctor today...what is the latest?

Sounds like you are very fortunate that the doctors have discovered what was wrong ad you have time to fight this cancer. When I was first dx'd in March of 07, I just couldn't believe what was happening to me...had always been very healthy, never smoked, had not worked around any chemicals, etc. I was not at all prepared for what I was about to face, and the doctors justed blurted out..."you hav invasive cancer, you need 4 months of chemo and then have your bladder removed." I felt so completely alone and helpless until I found this website and what a blessing it has been for me and many others.

Anyway, I found lots of info. and more importantly, several here who took turns holding my hand, so to speak, and helped walk me through this proces. Yes, I was on a very difficult journey but I was not alone. I followed alot of Pat's comments because I was very interested in the Indiana Pouch and she sounded very happy with her decision. I also made friends with a gal in California who also had gotten an Indiana Pouch...also pleased with her outcome and said she was going to wear her bikini when she went on her next cruise. Both she and Pat have their stoma put where the belly button is....mine is located just off to the right and down a few inches. I have affectionately named my stoma "Rosebud" and I loved her at first sight. I did my chemo last spring and summer, had my RC in late July, went back to work on a reduced schedule in early February and now am back to full time schedule.

Gracie, trust me when I say that I am a big baby...can't handle pain and all in my family (to include my mother) have called me the "family whimp"....but not anymore.
I amazed them and myself...and especially my spouse. I would never have imagined that I could make that journey and make it successfully but Pat and others like Holly kept telling me that I would be OK. I have a very strong faith and I asked God to direct me to the right doctors and the right procedures, etc. and I always felt like I was being watched over. Yes, there were times when I was frustrated, frightened, angry, depressed, but I have to tell you, there also were times when I was so encouraged and inspired by others I met here and elsewhere who were also fighting cancer...brave, noble, caring, awesome people. I felt so very blessed to be in contact with so much goodness.

Anyway, I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly of cancer. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have for me...I am hoping the gal I know in California will chime in since you may live near her. I am 57, have two college age kids, daughter and son. I live near Seattle and had my RC at the Univ. of Washington Medical Center...had a 9"in incision with staples...healing very nicely...I don't think I will have much of a scar, if any. My insurance did not cover for me to go outside the state of Washington so I went with the best I could find here....head of the Urology Dept.

I have not found any women in my area who have a neobladder that don't have to cath themselves, so I wanted the Indy pouch and am very glad I was able to get it. It was frustrating in the beginning, getting it trained, but now I almost feel like a pro...just as Pat said I would. It's miraculous really when I think about it...how efficiently it works for me. I turely feel blessed. I do have to be cautious about what I eat and drink but I am feeling healthier all the time. Please don't hesitate to contact me via PM if you would like. I will go ahead and PM you to give you my phone number if you wish to call me. I love helping others who are on this journey so please feel free to call or email me. Stay strong. :) Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 weeks ago #15152 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Bummer...
Gracie,

Just thought I would chime in, my husband had his surgery with Dr. Gill and Campbell at the Cleveland Clinic. Gill is suppose to be the best at laproscopic and the first to do an Indiana..from what I am told laproscopic is not much different from the DaVinci .it allows you to have only 4 small slits instead of a big incision, thats what my husband had, laproscopic. You can't go wrong if Gill is on your team of surgeons. Of course Pat was his first Indiana pouch,, so shes certainly got all the answers on the Indiana.
My husbands r/c was Sept. 14th, 2007, and he is doing very well, Pat will tell you they have a VIP section, make use of it if you can, it will make a world of difference...no time like now to pay for the best if possible...Ginger

16 years 4 weeks ago #15128 by Gracie
Replied by Gracie on topic Bummer...
Marie - wow, never ceases to amaze me how person brings a different story. Thank you for sharing yours. You are so right - its very intense. Its been a ride! You are making terrific progress! You should feel very encouraged by that. I also have very definite feelings about self-cathing with the neo. It seems to work so well for men. Thank you and continued good health.

Sky Pilot. Another doctor told me that my doctor may have saved my life on this one. My cysto and FISH were both negative. It was well hidden. I'm glad that he has a curious nature and went in after it. Its wonderful that you are doing so well! I will keep your extremely kind offer to help in mind.

Best,
Gracie

16 years 4 weeks ago #15084 by skypilot
Replied by skypilot on topic Bummer...
Hi Gracie: I am male but had the exact tumer area you have.Also hiddinn from veiw Blocking left uriter. I had it done at henery ford nedical center in drtriot. By Dr Menin davinci and Dr peabody for the rest. They did afriend of mine 6 tears ago. I had no hardly no pain. Out in 3 days neo is working great. The care I got was so good. But it is along ways for you. If you need more info let me knowl and anyone coming here I will help with logistics. They have a hotel with conceare service. They have conceltations every wed. By the way I am 14 weeks post op. Have afew issues nothing major. Don

Hanging in there!

16 years 4 weeks ago #15077 by marie
Replied by marie on topic Bummer...
Dear Gracie,
I had my RC surgery on Jan 18 of this year. I'm sorry you are in this position, but you will get through it. I'm now able to get out and about quite a bit...back to driving, shopping and socializing a little bit. I'm not back to work yet, as I am a teacher, so I'm probably going to wait until September. I'm 49 with three kids (18,15 and 11) so home life is pretty busy. This site is so great, because there are so many tips here from people in the know. The best tips I followed after my surgery were to walk as much as possible as soon as possible, really be careful what you eat when you get onto solids again (lots of vegetable soups, yogert, applesauce, oatmeal), take stool softners (I'm still taking 2 per day). I didn't have too many problems with my bowels.

My surgeon really wanted me to have a neobladder, but I just didn't feel that it was going to be the right choice for me. I didn't think I would be able to handle the possibility of self-cathing - but I want to stress that this is just me. I wanted the Indiana Pouch, but my surgeon did not want to do it so my options were to look around for another surgeon (however, I was at the best cancer hospital in Canada - The Princess Margaret) or to have the ileal conduit and the external bag. I chose the latter, and it is ok. I am adjusting to the bag, and nobody can tell (I lost 25 lbs during the surgery). The operation of the bag is easy, but still a big adjustment. As many people on this site have said, you adjust to whatever diversion you have. I think that if I had the option more easily, I might have really gone for the pouch. There are lots of women on this site that have the pouch, so I'm sure you can get good info from them. Things happened really quickly for me, as I was just diagnosed in Aug 07 with T1G3 and had 2 fast recurrances. When I got my path report after the surgery, I also has CIS almost through the wall of the bladder. Just keep in mind that this surgery can save your life. All of my lymph nodes (41 of them) were clear. I also had a complete hysterectomy, but so far have not had any big effects from that part of the surgery. I'm working with a naturopth and eating lots of veggies and fruits.

Good luck with the decisions...it is so intense and I'll keep you in my thoughts. I don't post too much on this site, but when I do, the answers are so helpful and supportive. I think of everyone on here quite a bit and keep everyone in my prayers.

Marie

16 years 4 weeks ago #15068 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Bummer...
Hi Gracie...well better to be geographically challanged than have a doc that is medically challanged. As long as you have a good team of urologists and oncologists in your immediate area willing to treat you post-op, having surgery at a further facility works for many. If you ask Cleveland Clinic, Mayo's, MD Anderson, USC/Norris or Memorial Sloan, Johns Hopkins (just to name a few) what their percentage of out-of-towners are it would be something like 70%.
Surgery for blc is highly specialized....I live in the second largest city in Ohio and there is not one surgeon here who has done an Indiana Pouch!!..Amazing huh...and the expertise is about the same with the neo....best thing i did was get out of Dodge. Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne