Journey for bladder removal.

16 years 1 month ago #14199 by Dale50
Replied by Dale50 on topic Journey for bladder removal.
Pat,

I want to praise you and all of the care givers after bladder surgery for a love one! My wonderful wife Tracy nursed me back to health very quickly while scarificying her own life. She cleaned my incesion and J-tube hole, flushed my catheter twice a day, encouraged me to walk and supported me when I was tired and angry because I was going through this at 50. I know you have taken good care of Deverne and will continue through his recovery. When people called to check on me they never ask how my wife was doing and on Christmas day was three weeks after my surgery and I was not able to go out and shop for Tracy and this was so depressing for me on Christmas that I had a crying spell. She though said it was O.K. and made sure that our whole family including me had everything they wanted for Christmas.

So I salute and thank you as you start your journey home and know your care of Deverne is understood by those who have gone through this surgery. He will get stronger week by week, today is 14 weeks post surgery for me and I am now as strong as I was before surgery and doing almost everything I was before and I am sleeping longer at night with my neo-bladder than I was with a cancerous God made baldder.

Take care, Gods speed home and thanks to all of the care givers who read this page!

Dale

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #14147 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Journey for bladder removal.
Pat and Deverne,

Your doing just fine, don't get discouraged about the strength issue, it will test your patience as as much as you want to get moving you will be reminded its not time yet. On the other hand do what you can, walk the hall, then rest. All of this the first 2 months is certainly normal. It may seem strange ,as we were told the surgery is so hard on one's body it plays catch up on all issues. Recovery is long, you will see minor advances for the first 2 weeks then it will move along more quickly..Love to you and your hubby!!! Ginger

16 years 2 months ago #14140 by harry s
Replied by harry s on topic Journey for bladder removal.
Glad to hear that you are both at the hotel and Deverne is out of the hospital. I'm sure he is antsy to get started home, but REST as the doctor suggested!! As I recall, you'll have a long trip home, so take it easy on the way. You are right, GOD IS SO GOOD, He does give us the strength to get through. Harry and I can attest to that!! Take care. Prayers for a safe and pleasant trip home...God will be your guide. Margot and Harry

16 years 2 months ago #14139 by Dale50
Pat,

I had a 20 mile trip home and I was exhausted at the end of the distance so take it easy and slow!

God's speed on your journey and know that Deverne's recovery will be so much quicker once you are settled at home!

Dale

16 years 2 months ago #14132 by justme
Replied by justme on topic Journey for bladder removal.
We are at the hotel, both of us! :)

I'm doing laundry and Deverne is resting. He wants to start home tomorrow but I told him the doctor said at least one day at the hotel. So if all goes well we might start on Sunday.

It is very good to be on this side of the surgery for both of us. ONe thinks they will not have the strength to get through it but somehow God gives us the gifts we need when we need them.

HOpe everyone is doing alright.
justme pat

16 years 2 months ago #14111 by Dale50
Pat,

The eating will come back slowly as I lost 51 pounds and had to make myself start eating even a little, but in order to compensate for the lack of food I had cravings for things like choclate milk, orange juice and ice cream. I would have been ready to go to the beach in my school weight body except for the railroad track up my stomach! I started eating somewhat regular about three or four weeks after surgery before that I could go a day or two without eating anything. Tell Devrne the shower becomes his best friend as I could stand under the hot shower for a long time and enjoy the hot water on my back, the first shower is always the best.

Please tell him to hang in there and he will feel better once he gets out of the hospital and does not have blood being drawn and someone waking him up all hours of the night to take his blood pressure.

Dale

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne