I am feeling really down

16 years 4 months ago #11255 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic I am feeling really down
Hi Lisaloo.....glad you're posting. Hey i just read about a new hormone-free therapy for hot flashes and night sweats writen by Eugene G. Lipov, M.D. of Advanced Pain Centers in Chicago. Its called stellate ganglion block, injections of a local anesthetic next to nerve tissue in your neck. The anesthetic resets your body's temperature control and allows it to function normally.
This kind of makes a lot of sense to me...tho finding someone who knows about it and does the treatment might be tricky?? I shall look into it for you. In the meantime ask your doctor if he knows anything about it.
Whether or not estrogen has any effect on developing blc who knows....I've posted about one m.d. who has isolated the hormone Androgen in relationship to blc...guys have plenty of it..but we females have it also.
Anyway i do the Climara patch which is just estrogen...lowest dosage 0.025..which i put on once a week...it goes directly into the bloodstream bypassing the liver and is yam based.
By the way here is Dr. Lipov's site...and Holly he's near you in Hoffman Estates..
www.painmngt.com/dr_lipov.html

Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 months ago #11254 by Sarah
Replied by Sarah on topic I am feeling really down
Hi Lisa

Sorry to hear you're feeling down - with everything you're coping with at the moment it's hardly surprising.
On the HRT front, I had an R/C and instant menopause and didn't cope very well with the additional symptoms, in fact the effects of this type of menopause on recovery would be an interesting research subject I think. I am in the UK and after a few months of struggling I saw my GP to ask about HRT. He referred me to a (female) oncologist who said absolutely you must have it, a low dose (the minimum) to keep symptoms at bay, and to continue until I reach what would have been the time I could expect to have been through the menopause, about 5-6 years. She said that BC is not a hormone sensitive tumour, so there was no oncological reason not to. There are other issues of course, but they are not to do with BC!
Best of luck with a good recovery
Sarah

16 years 4 months ago #11253 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic I am feeling really down
Lisa,

Its about that time for feeling a little bit bad, the whole thing is now coming to reality, the surgery is over but more to deal with. I don't know much about why they advise chemo as to why they don't, precautionary speaking. Its obvious in some cases, was the path report clean?? Well your feeling bad because of this news and the sheet thing. Don't feel guilty about having your hubby do things, I am sure he is happy to do it, maybe he could use some tips from us caregivers?? Try to remember next week will be better, and if your concerned about the chemo ask your Doctor about it,, pro's con's etc. Ginger

16 years 4 months ago #11249 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic I am feeling really down
Lisa,

I can understand how you feel, been there done that. I had the same diagnosis as you and chose to go with a clinical trial to try to save my bladder. I went through 40 sessions of radiation and saw 20 rounds of chemo. Instant menopause with like 25 hot flashes a day the type that take your breath away, and as you say changing the bed every night. The frustration of it all was that the Urologist and Oncologist {I had some of the best by the way} seemed really unconcerned about the suffering this instant menopause causes us. I have came to the conclusion that there is this feeling of “you are alive aren’t you” when you try to talk about any survivors issues. They are looking at all of this from a different perspective, beating the cancer is their main concern. Add that to the fact that they deal with so many men that they really know little about menopausal issues. After a lot of study on the subject I decided that hormones were not the best long term health choice for me. I bulled through it and it did get better with time but then came back after my RC, now a year and a half later now I have a few hot flashes and life is pretty normal other wise. I do not know if the tendency I have now to say exactly what is on my mind is that I have changed in the last years or the menopause. Maybe they accidentally removed my diplomacy module when they did the RC.
You might think of finding a Gynecologist that works with Gynecological cancers to see. They would have a good grasp of what happens when you have treatment induced menopause and the best treatments for cancer survivors.
As for the chemo think of it as insurance they want to make sure that no stray cells are left. You will find that with good support that you will have it behind you in no time and will go forward. If you have any questions of fear about the chemo ask your Oncologist about any of them. And as always we are here, post away. If I can be of any help do not hesitate to post to me here or to email me at any time.

Chin up and strait forward

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

16 years 4 months ago #11248 by lisaloo
Replied by lisaloo on topic I am feeling really down
Thanks Holly
Will try the towel tip tonight normally I can cope with most things but I just feel all coped out at the moment.I am trying to focus on getting well enough to enjoy Christmas with the children and will be starting chemotherapy in the new year.
Lisa

16 years 4 months ago #11246 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic I am feeling really down
Hi Lisa,

I can understand your dissappointment with the dx. I was thought to be T2 also but ended up 3a. I did 4 rounds of cisplatin/gemzar after rc, too.
I went thru surgical menopause at 38 and I can relate too well to what you are now going thru with that. The night sweats can be horrible - I kept a stack of towels by my bed and one that I laid on. When I woke up drenched - I would change the towel and my pj's. Towels were easier to change than sheets constantly. My hot flashes seemed to come every 20 minutes for months - even effecting my electolyte levels at times. Then they became less frequent but daily. I have noticed that after surgery/anesthesia - I seem to get more of them for a while. I was not able to take HRT either. I will try to remeber what else helped. God Bless, Holly

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne