leaking around stoma

16 years 7 months ago #8146 by juslin
Replied by juslin on topic leaking around stoma
Once again...thank you for all of your help! You have been so wonderful! I just don't know know what we would do without the internet (hope we never have to find out). These message boards are the greatest.
~Juslin~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 7 months ago #8144 by Jmema
Replied by Jmema on topic leaking around stoma
Juslin,
If you call the Dr. I am sure they can put you in touch with a stoma nurse. The visiting nurses assocation should have a special nurse for stomas. I had one who came to the house a couple of times a week for the first month I was home. I have found though that some areas of the country have a real shortage of them. Joe is right. Information is valuable but nothing can compare to the stoma nurse helping her hands on.
Blessings...Jean

16 years 7 months ago #8143 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic leaking around stoma
No Juslin the nurses that come to the house are more shall we say wound nurses. When whoever you are talking about they had a stoma nurse in the hospital they were at before and after the surgery. Now to me the best thing for her to do is call the hospital and make an appt with either of the two. Either the surgeon that did the operation or the stoma nurse she had in the hospital. Good Luck, Joe

16 years 7 months ago #8142 by juslin
Replied by juslin on topic leaking around stoma
Thank you for all of your input, it has been helpful. However, I am a bit confused on the whole stoma nurse thing. As I stated in my original post, she has home healthcare...would the nurse who is coming to her house be the stoma nurse or is that someone else? Im not sure our friend truly understands everything that is going on with this ileostomy (she's an older woman). Once again, thank you!
~Juslin~

16 years 7 months ago #8140 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic leaking around stoma
Juslin everyone that gets either a Indiana Pouch or Ileal Conduit Bag is assigned a stome nurse in the hospital. Sitting right in the chore of the desk I am typing this post is the card of my stoma nurse this is your best shot to get this issue resolved professionally, leaking of any kind is nothing to play around with. That site is nice Jean posted and you might get some good info there but more then opinions you need this fixed and that's why they have stoma nurses- use them. Joe ;)

16 years 7 months ago #8138 by Jmema
Replied by Jmema on topic leaking around stoma
Juslin,
I have a urostomy (ileal conduit) for bladder cancer and I have gotten a lot of information on the united ostomy board. Go to UOAA.org and when you get to the site click on discussion. You will get a very helpful message board. Several people with ileostomies post every day. I had trouble with leakage of my urostomy in the beginning and I was given a lot of helpful information. Hope this helps.
Blessings....Jean

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne