Forum

× Welcome click the New Topic button to post

Mom - preliminary diagnosis - size and time urgency questions

11 years 6 months ago #5738 by Patricia
Dude...in Fla there is the Cleveland Clinic in Westin...they are tops in Urology...and there is Shands Cancer Hosp. associated with the U. of Fla...you might check their web sites and check out their doctors. You want someone who has seen a lot of bladder cancer and much expertise. I have a feeling Mom knows too much about hospitals and wants nothing to do with them!!!...If she's willing to travel for the re-section i'd try to encourage her to go to one of the major cancer hospitals. Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 6 months ago #5736 by Mike
My tumor was about 2 inches long ( 8 cm or so ) which is a large tumor and it was a muscle invassive tumor. I had to wait about 3 weeks also to get biopsy ( TURBT ) as well. From the description of your Moms tumor like mine that tumor has been around awhile and not to be the bearer of bad news a strong possiblity it is muscle invassive so as Rosemary had mentioned you should get the biopsy as soon as you can. Personally I would not put the test off for another 5 weeks. When I had my TURBT done it was just an overnite stay in the hospital and discharged the next day. Your Mom could still get the TUR done and if she is up to it still be able to attend the Baptism so at least you got that part out of the way. It usually takes about a week to get the biopsy back anyway. I'm from a suburb of Phila so I headed right into the city to choose my hospital the Univ. of Penn. If she were to come your way I am very sure Detroit has its share of great hospitals like all cities. Best Of Luck, Joe

Dude 3 weeks is not that long to wait especially if you are choosing a higher caliber hospital and there is no mention of where your Mom is going to get this test done. Maybe it is a great hospital there or where she works. You and your Mom can talk to your Primary Dr's if you are looking for referralls to good hospitals just a thought.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 6 months ago #5734 by AssociationDude
Thanks for your input. My mom's in Florida (north of Tampa), I'm in Michigan, so I'm trying to deal with this from a distance. Several issues are contributing here. First, my mom's not a fan of doctors, in fact, she hadn't seen one in years before this. She worked in a hospital as an EKG tech for years, so she's pretty astute about heart attack symptoms, but anything else is pure avoidance. After the D.O.'s diagnosis, she waited a week before telling anyone, finally calling me, but not wanting to tell anyone else. I knew nothing about bladder cancer when she called, so I didn't know what questions to ask and she didn't have a lot of details for me.

If she can't manage to get in quicker in Florida, I may try to get her in to see someone here in Michigan (northern suburb of Detroit). Either way - anyone have good recommendations on doctor's in either area?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 6 months ago #5728 by Patricia
Dude...Rosemary is right...size is not an indicator. Where are you that they can't move up the TURB? Perhaps you need to get a second opinion at this juncture. You really need a top uro/oncologist and a top notch hospital for pathology.
Personally my first resection was done as an outpatient and i left in 3 hrs...my second TURB was done at a major cancer center l0 days later and i walked out 30 minutes after i woke up with no ill effects. Now maybe taking out a tumor the size of a tennis ball will be a little more tricky.
At any rate i would say time is of the essence.
Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 6 months ago #5720 by Rosemary
Dear Dude,

My opinion on the matter is to get a biopsy ASAP. Size of tumor is not a prognistic determinator of stage and grade in bladder cancer. She needs to find out if the tumor has invaded into the lamina propria, the bladder layer just beneath the epithelium. If the cancer has spread even deeper into the muscle wall, then the issue becomes much more urgent and serious.

My biopsies did not require a great deal of recovery time. The first time, I took a week off from work, but it was not necessary. The next biopsy was on a Friday and I was back to work on Monday.

Good luck and please keep in touch.

Best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 6 months ago #5718 by AssociationDude
My mom, age 69, was given a preliminary diagnosis of bladder cancer a week ago. She has been told that the tumor is approximately the size of a tennis ball, which seems to be very much on the large size. Any comments on the size of it, particularly as it might relate to eventual treatment options?

She is having some difficulty getting follow-up tests done in a timely manner. The first available date for a biopsy to confirm it is bladder cancer was in three weeks, which is two days before she was scheduled to travel for her grandson's baptism. She wants to put off the tests until she returns in about five weeks. I'm not sure if it is wise to wait. What sense of urgency should we be taking regarding getting to the point of treatment?

Your guidance is appreciated as we begin this journey/battle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne

Users

Total Online: 0 Users and 341 Guests 

Statistics

Total Messages: 50869 Total Sections: 1 Today Open: 0 Today Total Answer: 0
Total Subjects: 6518 Total Categories: 11 Yesterday Open: 1 Yesterday Total Answer: 3
Total Users: 7781 Latest User: jackson24
Powered by Kunena Forum