I typed the wrong word I meant cystoscopy. TURBT failure today. Dr said he couldn't do anything the bladder, prostrate and penile tube are covered in cancer. Still no path biopsy. Scheduled for February 7 to do Preop testing ct scan of chest stomach and abdominal plus blood work, heart and stress tests. Planning on removal of bladder prostate and penile tube then. So now we are dealing with metatastic bladder cancer. How do we deal with this???
Don't quite understand your comment that TURB and "colonoscopy" are interchangeable terminology? Must have misunderstood the terminology....totally different and different organs!
As long as the cancer has not grown out of the bladder lining, there is no reason to remove the bladder. There are treatments, such as immunotherapy with BCG, that are very effective and many patients never have to have their bladders removed. Cystectomy is a very major surgery with a long recovery time. If there is no need for it, no one would want to go through this.
IF the cancer is still localized in the bladder lining, it can often be treated successfully. With careful checkups every three months (to begin with) it is possible that cystectomy can be avoided altogether. I have had a mastectomy and it is a "walk-in-the-park" compared to cystectomy. And people who have had a cystectomy can still have mets.
Wait until the results of the TURB come back from the pathologist. Then you will know what he might be facing and you can prepare to do this together!
Wishing you all the best.
Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Thank you Sara. Tomorrow he has a TURBT. Dr. told me TURBT and colonoscopy are used interchangeably in terminology. Interesting as I find that confusing. Nervous! Dr. is alloting 2 hours for procedure. The right kidney is being affected and has reduced functioning, we don't know what percentage as a CT cant show that info. I don't understand why the protocol for BC is multiple TURBT's in lieu of removal of the bladder to completely stop the cancer. I know its an invasive procedure, however, when women have breast cancer if they have the gene suspect of recurrence they allow them the choice of radical masectomy and reconstruction. I believe the constant stress of worrying if its coming back and/or invasive would be worse than living without the bladder. My husband immediately said he could live without it, but it doesn't seem that is an option unless the BC is invasive. Any thoughts on why the Drs. approach is multiple treatments?
I am sorry that you are facing what must seem to you to be another medical situation that ends with a loss. Memories and bad experiences can darken out outlook.
A lot has changed in 20 years. New procedures and medications have changed the course of bladder cancer. Bladder cancer is now the most expensive cancer, on a per patient basis because we, as a group, survive so long. It is good that so much can be done for our cancer today.
"In sickness and in health" - my wife and I have cared for each other for almost 50 years. Ther have been good times and not so good times, but we have survived as a couple, tending to each other.
Please don't let memory interfer with the love and support you share with your husband. Together you can get through our trial with love and support. It works for us, and I hope, you.
Best to you both,
What's with this Bleeding ? 6/2015
DX: HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again
Until next scope
Hi I just wanted to say I had 5 tumors taken out in 2006 since then I have had it come back several times. Last year it came back twice but my last 2 checkups have come back clear. Go to the best place you can, that is very important .
I understand the worry with your history but bladder cancer can be very treatable. Let us know how it goes. Rocky
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago#52597by Alan
Waiting is brutal. So, if possible take a step back with that deep breath as you don't really know much until fully diagnosed! The observaion is most of us get through this!
A couple of quick comments. There are many protocols depending on the DX. The important thing is if you are confident with your URO that is good. Should there be any doubt, your mention of the Cleveland Clinic is a good choice as a second opinion or if surgery is needed.
Keep posting as you go down this journey. There will be someone "that has been there and done that" to help.
DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.