Hi,and sorry you and your dad have had to come to us. The definitive test to check on how deep the cancer has spread was the op carried out already by laser. This has removed the tumour but shows that cancerous cells have penetrated through part of the bladder wall. The chemo pre surgery is to try and catch any cells which may have escaped and kill them, and the following operations to remove bladder, prostate etc are to remove any further risk . There would be no evidence now of tumour in the bladder to show on the scan, as this has been removed, but she wanted to check that it has not spread already, and established tumours anywhere else in the body.If it were me, and I am not a doctor, I would proceed immediately with the preop chemo, and if you feel a second opinion is required, make arrangements for this as soon as possible. But do NOT delay. You dad is in a good situation that he has now been diagnosed, hopefully before the cancer has spread, and his team are proposing the correct treatment. Sorry if my post sounds very cold and clinical, but time is now very much of the essence. I am sure others who have had the same diagnosis and ops will come on to give their opinion.
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago#47198by Alan
Sorry your Dad is going through this but, at the same time glad you found us. Stage 2 (which means muscle invasive) with grade 3 (meaning aggressive tumors) usually means taking the bladder out. He is NOT cured! I know that isn't what you wanted to hear. This diagnosis often has chemo done before a cystectomy.
Many that will see your post including me would encourage a second opinion, albeit quickly with a T2G3 DX, if for no other reason than peace of mind. You want a large teaching hospital or one that has a special department for bladder cancer such as the Cleveland Clinic, John Hopkins, MD Anderson etc. Where do you live as someone will see this and may be able to recommend a good place? IF, and only a big IF because this cancer is often UNDERSTAGED, a second opinion possibly may give you other options from a second TURB to be sure of the DX (transurethral resection). This not one to fool around with. This is beatable but, the most likely outcome from what you have posted is removal to be safe. None of us are doctors so please, get moving on this!
DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
My Daddy is 63 years old and had laser surgery last month to remove the cancer from his bladder. The report came back that it was muscle invasive bladder cancer stage T2 Grade 3. The surgeon recommended that he have his bladder, prostate, and urethra removed. We went to an oncologist who recommended that we start an 8 week round of Chemo before he has the surgery to remove the bladder but she issued a pet scan 1st to see if it had spread anywhere else. We got the scans back yesterday and it showed that there is no more cancer anywhere, not even in the bladder. We were overjoyed! The part that scares me though is that the surgeon said it could be into the fat and that it won't show up on the scan. My Dad thinks he is cured and doesn't feel like anything else needs to be done. From what I have read, bladder cancer usually comes back. I just don't know what we should do? We are going to another surgeon for a second opinion to see what he says we should do. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.