Newly diagnosed. Overwhelmed with information, terms, and lingo.

5 days 17 hours ago #62180 by mrdee63
So sorry that you had to experience this with the first doctor. I don't understand how many of the details were not addressed immediately.  Praying and hoping for a positive outcome for you. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 week 5 days ago #62172 by Alan
Welcome Bonsall,

You were smart to get another URO. If your first didn't do a cystoscope, he was negligent. It is that simple and, I am not a doctor. He needed to dig deeper on why you were bleeding even when it often it is nothing. The cystoscope is the gold standard to peek inside. The CT scan is often done in conjunction with a scope to get a better view ill of the urinary system, including the kidneys.

As most often say, it is one day at a time. You will know nothing until the biopsy is finished. I know waiting is hard. Let's hope the growth seen is something other than cancer and that does happen. Read up further on this site about possible outcomes if it is a tumor and keep posting as you go. Someone should be able to help.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

1 week 5 days ago - 1 week 5 days ago #62171 by Bonsall
Hi,  I am also new to all of this, and it does worry me.  I have a TURBT procedure scheduled this Monday the 22nd of April. They have already performed the cystoscopy, and found a large tumor.  It is tough to sit back and wait to see what that tumor tells the doctors. 

I am 64 and relatively healthy, until now.  The annoying part of all this, is that I had a gross Hematuria about 8 months ago, and the previous urologist said he saw nothing.  A week later the CT scan results came in, showing a mass in the bladder.  He discounted that scan, and said he saw nothing to worry about.  He was certain it was simply, BPH.   Now, 8 month later, I have another gross hematuria with clots.

I went to a different urologist , who looked at the old CT scan, added with the hematuria.  He did not hesitate to give me a cystoscopy right then. He let me watch, as he looked at where the CT scan showed a growth.  A large mass was found exactly where he thought there would be one. He immediately scheduled my TURBT procedure.  I am thankful for his urgency, but also scared a little, at this urgency.

I do agree,  there is a ton of information on the internet.  I try not to overreact to most of it.  I guess the best course for me at this point in time, is to wait to gather more information.  I just think that writing about on a post like this, helps me deal with it better. 

Fingers crossed

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne