Help! Shellshocked once again!!!

16 years 6 months ago #8634 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic Help! Shellshocked once again!!!
Hello Pat,
The path report just stated what I typed directly from it

BLADDER 'ADJACENT TO LEFT URETERAL ORIFICE' BIOPSY; UROTHELIAL CARCINOMA IN SITU
NO INVASION PRESENT
NO MUSCULARIS PROPRIA
I am hoping that is what it means - no muscular invasion
I am just not sure I want to waste time on BCG or go straight for the My...(sp)(not sure of all the spellings yet.
Thanks for your reply, I am trying to gather as much info as I can the next 2 wks.
Nancy

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #8632 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Help! Shellshocked once again!!!

Nancy,

If you started out with a low grade Ta tumor, BCG doesn't work for these very well, if at all. BCG does work very well at controlling CIS and high grade tumors though. Sending the path slides to Johns Hopkins is about the smartest thing your dr can do.

CIS can be missed very easily, it is often invisible. Maybe it's been there all along, or maybe you've experienced a progression in grade (have you read 'staging'? blcwebcafe.org/staging.asp ). If BCG doesn't stop the CIS at the 3 month follow up then you are at a high risk for progression in stage as well...if you're clear at 3 months and 6 months, maintenance might keep you clear for a long time, maybe even forever. It's worth a shot but no guarantee.

The path report seems to be saying that no muscle was present in the specimen, meaning the biopsy was sub-optimal. I think! You need to clarify this. Perhaps it's saying that there was no cancer seen in the muscle (that would be ideal).

16 years 6 months ago #8618 by Nix
Pat,
My Uro is suggesting 6 wks of BCG starting in 2-1/2 wks. then of course a three week follow=up mant. I had 6wks bcg after the first turmor removal last yr (when I had Ta) so I guess the bcg did not work then.

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

16 years 6 months ago #8615 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Help! Shellshocked once again!!!
Nancy...a flat urothelial carcinoma in situ is a more aggressive tumor but the good news is no invasion is present. Is your uro suggesting more BCG's or perhaps a course of Mitomycin C? I'm hoping that some of the people who are in your same situation will jump in here soon...its a weekend. Don't panic yet. Pat

16 years 6 months ago #8606 by Nix
Pat,
I have the report - BLADDER 'ADJACENT TO LEFT URETERAL ORIFICE' BIOPSY; UROTHELIAL CARCINOMA IN SITU
NO INVASION PRESENT
NO MUSCULARIS PROPRIA

This is repeated for the other two biopsys - one on posterior wal one on dome

What does this tell you? I would appreciate any help.

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

16 years 6 months ago #8604 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Help! Shellshocked once again!!!
Nancy..what exactly did the pathology report say? Thats important. Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne