BCG Decision - Help

16 years 6 months ago #8383 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic BCG Decision - Help
Hi Connie,

It seems like you are asking and answering your own questions. I say to follow you instincts. You don't want to look back and wish you did things differently. Find a place closer to home/work and you will save money on gas, be able to roll around after treatment, and have less time off of work...You sound like you are second guessing yourself which I have found is usually not a good thing.

Good Luck!
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #8381 by ConnieOnAQuest
BCG Decision - Help was created by ConnieOnAQuest
I have to decide where to get my BCG + maintenance treatments done. The facility I am being treated at now is a 1-1/2 hour drive from my home. This doctor claims one does not have to roll around after the treatment, and I would be fine getting the treatment and then driving home. Personally, I would prefer to get home quickly and roll around. That is how I did my 6 treatments in 2000 and I had not a single side effect, and no tumors for 7 years. I say, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. This doctor seems to want to discourage me from getting treatments somewhere else. He acts as if I'm taking chances with my bladder because his nurses are "specially trained" in BCG. But I want the option of being home soon after treatments, and I also do not want to have to take time off of work with no pay to travel a 3-hour round trip for treatments. I can't afford to do that, and I am about out of paid time off of work for the year.

Is this doctor in the minority to say that one does not need to change positions during the two hour "holding period" ? Do I need to be concerned about who delivers the BCG into my bladder? What questions do I ask? I'm afraid that, with the higher risk of side effects with maintenance treatments, I may get someone who will make a mistake with serious consequences.

Thank you for any responses.

Connie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne