2nd Round for BCG Treatments

16 years 5 months ago #8552 by Mystic
Replied by Mystic on topic 2nd Round for BCG Treatments
HI SCOTTY,

I AM ALSO GOING TOMORROW (THUR) OCT 4 FOR MY 3RD TREATMENT OF BCG. I DRINK A LOT OF WATER, GREEN TEA, CRANBERRY JUICE TO GET THE BCG OUT OF THE BLADDER SO NO IRRITATION AND SO FAR I FEEL FANTASTIC, AND SO FAR NO SIDE EFFECTS AND I HAVE HAD 4 SURGERIES (EVERY 3 MONTHS FOR THE PAST YEAR AND A HALF.)

THE DOCTOR SUGGESTED THE BCG FOR THE RE-OCCURANCE, I HOPE AND PRAY IT WORKS.

MY PRAYERS WILL ALSO BE WITH YOU.

MYSTIC

Linda

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #8514 by Scotty
Replied by Scotty on topic 2nd Round for BCG Treatments
Well, three down and three to go. No problems with BCG treatment except the feeling that I have to go all the time for the first day or two. The first day I actully do go about every 10 to 15 minutes. I go in for my next check-up six weeks after treatments.
Scotty

16 years 6 months ago #8350 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic 2nd Round for BCG Treatments
Scotty,

Frequent urination is very normal with BCG.

Are you drinking lots of good water? That seemed to help flush the toxins out quickly for me.

Let us know how you do.

Your friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 6 months ago #8349 by Scotty
Replied by Scotty on topic 2nd Round for BCG Treatments
to-day was the second of my six week treatments. Last week everything went well with no problems but today after treatment I have had to urinate eleven times in 8 hours and have constant feeling to go all the time. Hope this goes away. I will keep everyone posted.
Scotty ???

16 years 7 months ago #7585 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic 2nd Round for BCG Treatments
Hi Scotty,

Rosie's question and the points she raised are good, what was your original diagnosis, stage and grade, and are the recurs of the same type? Are they single or more than one?

Rosie's 'watchful waiting' is good for those with low grade+stage, Ta,Grade1, single tumors.

If yours were also singular, grade 1 and stage Ta and not stage T1, you'd fall into a low risk category and could consider other options than BCG. Some doctors feel it's ok to repeat the round of six, others feel that can be too much, it depends on the reaction. I would just like to be sure it's the right treatment for your type of cancer --BCG is the best treatment for high grade bladder cancer, Ta or T1, but less effective on intermediate risk and low risk tumor types. Mitomycin is used for less risky ones, either one dose or more, but that already failed you.

How many tumors have you had, and in how many years?
Sorry if you gave this information before (i did not look back through the earlier posts).

Wendy

16 years 7 months ago #7569 by Rosie
Replied by Rosie on topic 2nd Round for BCG Treatments
Scotty,

What was your pathology report for the removed tumors? I am sure I would have had one or two each year also if I had not decided to just do watchful waiting for a time before removal of the tumors. Mine keeps coming back mostly in the same original place (plus another minor one) and grows slowly. 21 treatments of BCG did not work for me but I have not had Mitomycin. I decided to just do watchful waiting after reading my pathology report on my second supposed recurrence that stated it was too small to send to pathology and the other "spot" fell apart when touched by the instrument. This current 4th recurrence (in 7 years) has been watched and evaluated for the past year and a half. I watched the one prior to it a little over a years. Mine grows very slowly and I have felt reassured by some new guidelines on low grade papillary that watchful waiting is safe. Have you seen that study and/or considered watchful waiting? Rosie

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne