Associations between Exercise and Quality of Life in BC Survivors

16 years 9 months ago #6871 by Zachary
Hello Rosemary,

I've been thinking about this "pairs" thing for quite a while. I know a lot of people who are going to lose some weight, get into shape, clean their desk, stop watching TV, read more books, etc., but for some reason or another their resolve fades pretty quickly.

I think it's for a couple of reasons. They're never absolutely clear on their goals and when they want to accomplish them by, and there's nothing that really keeps them on-track. They can quit anytime for any reason.

I just registered the domain name yourfeettothefire.com five minutes ago.

My plan is to make a site where people "buddy up" via email or on the site itself. They have to state their goals clearly--"I plan to lose 20 lbs by my birthday on November 18th"--and they'll be paired with someone who is in the same boat. Each of them is in charge of holding the other person's feet to the fire and to help them accomplish their goal. Sometimes we need a cheerleader and sometimes we need someone to crack the whip. Whatever works.

Let's see if I have the discipline to make it work. Frankly, it will take me a bit of time to get it started, but it sounds fun and worthwhile.

Zach

Afterthought--I think we often wait until we "feel" like doing something before we do it. I'm hopelessly behind in a book I'm writing because I often wait until I feel like writing. I seldom do feel like it. It's work and it's hard. If we wait until we feel like writing or feel like walking or feel like cleaning the house we may wait a long time.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 9 months ago #6870 by Rosemary
Zach,

You are so right, and your comment about women in pairs (to the bathroom, etc) is so very accurate and funny.

I should do just as you say. It is GOING to happen.

Right now, the evening is so cool and beautiful and I should be outside burning up the roadside with my lime green crocs shining from my feet, but I can see a mistake already. I came home, heated up dinner, got a glass of wine and have discarded any similation of walking clothes. My next destination is my recliner with my blanket. I see that his has to stop!

However, I have made a goal this week to walk to the library every day on my lunch hour. If I do this, then I will have put in 5 miles in one week.

This should qualify according to Dr. Lamm's recommendation of still being "somewhat fun"

Thanks for the input, Zach and you are right on about going in pairs. It will happen.

Your BC friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 9 months ago #6869 by Zachary
Rosemary, have you considered walking with a friend or co-worker who also needs someone to "hold her feet to the fire"? I've always found women--take a look at this forum for a perfect example--to be incredibly helpful and supportive. And they often like to do things in pairs--like go the the bathroom in a restaurant or bar.... :)

If there is someone you take walks with you'll be a lot less likely to find an excuse not to.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 9 months ago #6868 by Rosemary
I can't help but think about Dr. Lamm's reply to Yosarian in another thread about personal protocols for BC...

What is "somewhat fun"?

Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
Dx January 2006

16 years 9 months ago #6866 by Patricia
ok..only half replied....what were the mean ages of those who did reply?...too many variables.......just another study someone got money for!
Heck just walking thru my mega grocery store is a mile...that counts doesn't it and if i forget the milk its another mile to the other side......Pat

16 years 9 months ago #6865 by Rosemary
Mystic,

You have definitely got it all over me. I just walked 3 blocks to the library on my lunch hour to use the computer. I made myself do this after reading this article. I am about to fall asleep on this desk as I type.

I'm guessing that if I get this extra 20 pounds off of me, it well help all round everything.
(Cancer, energy, wanting to exercise, etc...)

I am proud of you, and I am going to try harder. Thanks for being an inspiration!!

Your friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne