Some bleeding four weeks after BCG - normal?

16 years 8 months ago #7002 by ddoyle
Rosemary,

Yep, I'm tough, no problem :)

I'm new to all this and it really helps to receive an encouraging word from folks who have been there before.

Thanks,

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 8 months ago #6998 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Some bleeding four weeks after BCG - normal?
David,

I am so glad that you went back and got the cytology test done. Your doctor will have that report in his hand in time for your appointment on the 10th. That should help speed things up a little once he makes an evaluation.

Hang in there, Bud. I just don't know why this is taking so long to get a test result.

Your friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 8 months ago #6996 by ddoyle
Update (some info may be redundant to what's shown on my other topic in Men's Issues)

two and a half weeks and two urine cultures later, they can detect no infection. I have been through a full course of sulfa antibiotics and 9 days of Celebrex anti-inflammatory and the pain/bleeding are still there. Last Friday 7/27 I went in on my own and left a specimen and instructed them to order a urine cytology test for cancer cells. My URO is still on vacation until 8/10 and I was getting a bit nervous even though they don't seem too concerned. Perhaps they see this all the time after BCG. In my case my last BCG instillation was 6/11 (7 weeks ago). Perhaps they are right :-\ ??? Meanwhile the blood & clots seem to have increased slightly over the weekend but still erratic.

Won't have cyto results untill approx 8/7 or 8.

David

16 years 9 months ago #6599 by ddoyle
Wendy,
You are correct -- I DID go to the Dr. yesterday and had a urine culture (cloudy, full of white cells) and he prescribed a sulfa antibiotic to clear things up so I can hopefully have my cysto next Thursday, otherwise will have to wait 3 weeks til he returns from vacation. I asked him if the infection could have been causing some blood in the urine and an occasional clot and he said yes, it could. He did scold me for waiting so long to come in but my excuse was that I thought the pain was totaly due to BCG, but then the bleeding started a few days ago. I guess the main thing is, if in doubt, don't delay calling your Dr.

Thanks,
David

16 years 9 months ago #6598 by wendy
Hi Doyle,

I've never had BCG (and don't have bladder cancer either, my sister does/did), but from hanging around this place so much I have heard a thing or two, and your story perks my antennae and makes me think you might have an infection. Can you get there sooner for a urine culture?

Sure it could be side effects like you describe from BCG, but 4 wks after treatment ends is a long time to be feeling like that.

Call the doctor!

I hope the BCG does it's job on you.
Best,
Wendy

16 years 9 months ago #6523 by ddoyle
Alice,

Thank you for taking the time to reply and offer encouragement. By the way, good luck on your cysto on 7/18 -- mine is the next day.
I will follow your advice and let my Uro know about the pain (he's also the one who administers the BCG). It's pretty hard to get a word in with him since he's extremely busy and has a tendency to discount pain and to attribute everything to the BCG and resulting symptoms.

David Doyle

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne