new test for follow up

16 years 10 months ago #5533 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic new test for follow up
You're absolutely right Rosemary...its not a replacement for a poke and peek....but even with a l7% false positive its a better test than a urine cytology. And the one doctor we do see most of the time is our internist.....and with the test so cheap...why wouldn't it be a good idea to use it at annual exams? Look how many women especially have not been diagnosed even with blood in the urine...the gyns blow them off most of the time...who would think of going to a urologist.....I'm just thinking its a great diagnostic tool. I'm definately going to talk to my internist about it and see if he thinks it has any merit. Lord knows we have to get someone to be more vigilant about this cancer. Just my thoughts!!....Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 10 months ago #5530 by Sandra
Replied by Sandra on topic new test for follow up
HI All: My oncologist included this test when having my last Poke and Peek May 11th. It came back negative for Cancer. He said this test was far more reliable than cytology - which even with G3 all of my cytology has come back negative. I will have the test again July 11th when I have my next Poke and Peek - and I am all for ALL CLEAR.

Sandra
"Grandmothers are just antique little girls...."

16 years 10 months ago #5528 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic new test for follow up
Don,

This is posted on the BCWC Home Page under diagnostic urine markers NMp22.  My feeling is that this test is sensibly used as an adjunct to cystoscopy.  I personally would not want to rely on this test alone for diagnostic purposes.

If you want the full story on NMP22 here is the link on the Main page.

[ftp]blcwebcafe.org/urinemarkers.asp[/ftp]

Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 10 months ago #5527 by skypilot
Replied by skypilot on topic new test for follow up
Rosemery could this be a money driven item. $30 compared to $130 all takes the same time. Don

Hanging in there!

16 years 10 months ago #5526 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic new test for follow up
If this is the same Nmp22 test that I was given at the Urologist's, then my understanding is that the test results can give false positives.  However, according to my doctor... "negative always means negative".

My Urologist seemed to think that the NMP22 was more of a supportive tool for those who already have BC.  He seemed to want to use this test in my case just to determine if another cystoscopy was necessary at that point in time. I don't think it was meant to replace a scheduled cystoscopy.  That is my understanding.

Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 10 months ago #5521 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic new test for follow up
That sounds like an amazing test.....and its cheap.....why on earth wouldn't it be a part of every internists annual exam? Maybe thats where we need to advocate....it certainly would be a start. Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne