biopsy negative but fish positive

1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #61687 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic biopsy negative but fish positive
You have had quite a journey from what I remember. Someone may also opine with better ideas than me! Without knowing all of the facts I would probably try waiting a month, maybe 2 months and repeat those tests. BOTH are notorious for false positives so a second battery of tests might be good as a double check. Another option is simply getting a second opinion. Should you get more positive indications of potential problems, then yes, further tests are a good idea. CT scans look at all of the urinary tract, and other tests (it sounds like you have had the rooter exam into the kidneys) which I believe is the retro-pyelogram. Those are usually pretty good diagnostics exams, albeit no fun being more invasive. Once you have had urinary cancer you can't be too careful.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #61686 by busaman
biopsy negative but fish positive was created by busaman
3 years into this.  I had four large non-muscle invasive malignant tumors that were removed, then bcg, then numerous follow up procedures such as cystos, ct scans, biopsies, etc. 
So far, no new tumors.
Several months ago I got an oncologtist in addition to my uro.  According to my most recent procedures, my prostate and bladder biopsies said "benign, no malignancy."  However, urine collected directly from a kidney said "abnormal."
My oncologist says everything looks good and he doesn't need to see me again unless I get another tumor.  I asked what about my cytology that says "abnormal."  He said, "Tissue is the issue" and he doesn't trust my cytologies or FISH.
My Uro is ordering a new FISH. I think he wants to go back up into the kidney to look around, a procedure that I did not tolerate well last time and I fear going through that again.
Any comments?
A Bladder Cancer Patient

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne