Negative FISH test positive cytology

1 year 7 months ago #61390 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Negative FISH test positive cytology
My experience? My URO didn't believe in the FISH. He said the were notorious for false positives and simply expensive for what they are. Cytology has the same problem but, is still useful as an indicator. As Sara Anne said, neither is diagnostic. The cystoscope and if need be the TURB are the gold standard along with a CT scan IF warranted.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 7 months ago #61389 by BigRIJoe
Replied by BigRIJoe on topic Negative FISH test positive cytology
I still would be interested in any experiences the readership might have had relating to my question

1 year 7 months ago #61388 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Negative FISH test positive cytology
Urine cytology, including the FISH test, is "indicative" but not "diagnostic."  That means that the results of the test should be taken into consideration, and if positive further tests really need to be done, but cannot diagnose the presence or absence of cancer by themselves.  This is why the urologist did cystoscopy.

I had a combination of both papillary bladder cancer and CIS and have NEVER had positive urine cytology,

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

1 year 7 months ago #61387 by BigRIJoe
Negative FISH test positive cytology was created by BigRIJoe
Has anyone had a negative FISH and then the urologist found recurring bladder cancer doing the cystoscopy?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne