BCG treatment

1 year 8 months ago #61392 by mcrider
Replied by mcrider on topic BCG treatment
Yes I drank about 5+ 16 oz bottles of water and a large, iced tea with dinner. I found the more water you drink the better you will be. I wanted to make sure the drug was flushed out before coming into the house where my special needs daughter was sleeping. I was staying in the motorhome in the front driveway. My sister was taking care of my daughter during my 6-hour contagious time. Please use the bleach as instructed. I also used small bars of soap to wash my hands then threw them away after use. I took a lot of extra precautions which most people don't have too. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 8 months ago #61391 by runner1256
Replied by runner1256 on topic BCG treatment
Did you drink alot of water during the six week process I drink 4 to 5 bottle a day right now My second treatment on Saturday. 

1 year 8 months ago #61386 by mcrider
Replied by mcrider on topic BCG treatment
I had my 6 treatments without side effects. I did drink lots of water after holding the drug in for two hours. This is very important so be sure you time yourself. After the 2 hours hold in. I drank lots of water to flush everything out. My 6th treatment was very painful to urinate. but I continued to drink my water, to be sure all the drug was out. I went for my scope after all 6 treatments and cancer was clear. I still have to have more treatments because I had blood in my urine.

1 year 8 months ago #61385 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG treatment
On the first treatment, no real side effects.  Just the discomfort the day of the instillation.

BCG is a form of immunotherapy, whose purpose is to jump start the immune system so that it fights the cancer cells.  It takes a while to build up this immune response.  At first the side effects are usually minimal and they slowly increase as the treatments continue and the immune response builds up.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

1 year 8 months ago #61383 by runner1256
Replied by runner1256 on topic BCG treatment
when you first start BCG did you have side effects on your first treatment

I just had my first BCF treatment and I had No side effects so far  

2 years 3 weeks ago #61246 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG treatment
Welcome to the Forum!!

We are very fortunate to have BCG available.  It is the current standard of treatment for bladder cancer in situ and for high grade bladder cancer that is still non-invasive.  While it does have side effects, for most people they are relatively minor and quite tolerable....nothing like what patients who need to undergo traditional chemotherapy have.  There is a LOT of information from others who have had BCG on this Forum.  Just go to the very top of this page and type "BCG" into the Search area.

I will just give you my experience.  I was diagnosed with CIS and had an induction series of six doses, once a week.  Then I was on a maintenance series of once a week for three weeks every three months until two years had passed.  I have now been bladder cancer-free for almost 14 years.

BCG side effects usually start out very mild and then increase as the body's immune system kicks in...which is what you WANT to happen.  During the first few hours as you hold the BCG in your bladder and then pee it out there is discomfort, burning, and urgency.    The next day it is common to feel fatigued.  Sometimes the burning and urgency continue for a while.  A the treatments continue these side effects do worsen.  As they became more uncomfortable for me, my urologist reduced the dose to 1/3 of the original.  But I made it through to the end.

Some patients do have more serious side effects and need to discontinue the treatments.  There are other options than BCG, but they are not as effective.

As you read the comments about BCG on the Forum, please remember that people who have problems are much more likely to post than those who have none!

The odds are that you will be fine!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcrider

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne