BCG treatment

1 year 1 day ago #61757 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic BCG treatment
Thanks for posting. Everyone learns from each of us. Plus, I like to read about success.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 4 days ago #61748 by runner1256
Replied by runner1256 on topic BCG treatment
Today is my one year anniversary of my first TURBT surgery and my non muscle Invasive Squamous cell cainoma bladder diagnoses. Since this diagnosis I have been thru 9 BCG treatment and two scoping with no cancer recurrence. I lost over 25 pounds of weight thru a walking  exercising program I started over the last year.  As of today I feel great and  my fitness level is the best it has been in years.  I look at my Bladder Cancer as just another bump in the road in my life. It's just another fight I must do.I figured if I listened to my first doctor I would have already had a radical cystectomy because that was considered the standard treatment for this type of bladder cancer. So a second opinion is always important. As I continue my BCG treatment in May I look at it just as  one more step to my final outcome. Cancer free. I remember something my father told me. Put your faith in God's hands and everything will be ok. So I will always thank God each day for my health and I will stride to be a better person. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan, joea73

1 year 1 month ago #61681 by Clyde
Replied by Clyde on topic BCG treatment
My PSA went up with BCG.  Mine stayed under 4.0 but the velocity of change concerned me.  My Uro/ONC confirmed that BCG can cause the PSA to jump up. 

1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #61680 by runner1256
Thank sounds good my PSA went up 5.9 and my last BCG treatment was 19 Jan way short of 3 month.

1 year 1 month ago #61679 by EddieS
Replied by EddieS on topic BCG treatment
This came from the Nationall Institute of Health:
Results: We observed elevated PSA in 27 men (75%) during BCG treatment, of whom 15 (41.6%) had a clinically significant elevation. Overall average PSA increased from 1.3 ng./ml. before BCG instillation to 3.8 during treatment (range 0.1 to 21.5, p <0.0001). In those with a clinically significant elevation average PSA increased from 2.31 ng./ml. at baseline to 6.97 during treatment (p <0.0001) and returned to 3.86 ng./ml. 3 months after treatment. Palpation demonstrated prostatic findings in 10 patients, including firm nodules in 7, while there was significantly elevated PSA in 5 with firm nodules and 2 with diffuse prostatic enlargement. Histological examination of the prostate in 10 patients was diagnostic for granulomatous prostatitis, nonspecific inflammation and benign prostatic hyperplasia in 3, 3 and 4, respectively, of whom none had prostate cancer.Conclusions: Intravesical BCG therapy is associated with significantly elevated PSA in up to 40% of cases. This effect is self-limited and PSA reverts to normal in 3 months. Therefore, we suggest that prostate biopsy be withheld in such patients and PSA monitored.

1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #61678 by runner1256
Hello I have a question. Does BCG treatment cause your PSA level to go up. I just had a updated blood test and my PSA level is high. Less in a year ago I had a Pet Scan and MRi with no cancer.
I also have started a exercising program which I did a hard 5 mile brisk walk less then 24 hr before the blood test. 

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne