Did anyone wait 3 months after CIS was taken out by TURBT to receive BCG?

5 months 1 week ago #61140 by Chadni30305
Hmm, is the Urologist supposed to provide muscle sample for biopsi? Should I do another TURBT to make sure there is no muscle invasion? Thanks for your help Sara. You are so knowledgeable regarding bladder cancer. I am learning a lot by reading all the posts. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 1 week ago #61139 by sara.anne
That means that there was no muscle tissue present in the biopsy sample that the pathologist received.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 1 week ago #61136 by Chadni30305
One other question. What does “No Muscularis present” in pathology report mean ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 1 week ago #61133 by Alan
Chances are as your BCG worked several years ago it should work again.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chadni30305

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 1 week ago #61130 by Chadni30305
Yes, this was a recurrence from January of 2014. At that time I had high grade papillary TA and the urologist (Retired now) at the time gave a dose of chemo and gave 6 doses of induction BCG, did not follow the maintenance regimen but I was cancer free for almost 6 years and now it recurred as a high grade CIS and this URO doesn't seem too concerned about this. I will definitely seek a second opinion. Do you know if people usually respond well to CIS if they responded well previously with G3 papillary tumor. Sorry for all the questions, so many things are running in mind and I am stressed about this Dx. Thanks for getting back to me. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #61129 by Alan
Reading about no muscle involvement is good. Often, a second TURB is done to be sure margins are correct. The pathology report should indicate that but, a second is still not a bad idea. It sounds like you have some additional doubts. Many of us would encourage a second opinion for peace of mind, "fresh eyes" and a confirmation of the first DX is often agreed upon. Does it also sound like you have had a recurrence? Perhaps another reason for a second opinion. You have some time as you heal from your first TURB.

Blue light is an improvement from what I have read but, not imperative. The bladder wash is usually done to kill any possible re-seeding from the TURB. My URO used a blue dye to light up any cancer cells which would have been a similar situation to blue light.

My cancer was papillary (mushroom/stalk-like). So, it is a different type. It did grade as high grade hence the BCG regimen that I was treated with.

One last take. Many patients will pass clots and a small amount of "old" blood from the TURB 10-17 days post. My URO warned me about this otherwise I would have freaked out as it happened to me. It depends on how much digging they do.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne