diet for bladder cancer.

2 years 9 months ago #60800 by joea73
Replied by joea73 on topic diet for bladder cancer.
National Guideline of Nutrition and Diet
www.dietaryguidelines.gov/sites/default/files/2020-12/DGA_2020-2025_ExecutiveSummary_English.pdf
medlineplus.gov/definitions/mineralsdefinitions.html

Lecture and the information of MIT Prof. Joanne Stubble.
"biology.mit.edu/profile/joanne-stubbe/"
        Talk on vitamin starts 18:55

Dr. Lamm's study on vitamin and the BCG treatment
academic.oup.com/cid/article/31/Supplement_3/S86/331744

Dr. O'Donnell - University of Iowa team's study on vitamin and the BCG treatment
www.auajournals.org/doi/10.1016/j.juro.2010.06.147

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 9 months ago #60799 by joea73
National Guideline of Nutrition and Diet
www.dietaryguidelines.gov/sites/default/files/2020-12/DGA_2020-2025_ExecutiveSummary_English.pdf
medlineplus.gov/definitions/mineralsdefinitions.html

Lecture and the information of MIT Prof. Joanne Stubble.
"biology.mit.edu/profile/joanne-stubbe/"
        Talk on vitamin starts 18:55

Dr. Lamm's study on vitamin and the BCG treatment
academic.oup.com/cid/article/31/Supplement_3/S86/331744

Dr. O'Donnell - University of Iowa team's study on vitamin and the BCG treatment
www.auajournals.org/doi/10.1016/j.juro.2010.06.147

2 years 9 months ago #60798 by joea73
Metabolism is the set of  life -sustaining chemical reactions in or organisms including human body.
Enzyme are  proteins  that act as  biological   catalysts  . Catalysts accelerate  chemical reactions  by 106 to 1015 times faster. Without enzyme, metabolism in our body don't happen fast enough and we don't / can't exist.   
Vitamins and certain minerals are key components of enzyme.  

I think if we follow the government's guideline, we should be able to get enough various vitamins and minerals.

But, Prof. Joanne Stubble, a renounced MIT bio-chemist told to her students in her bio-chemistry lecture that everyone should take vitamin pills which also include certain minerals so we will have good functioning enzyme which enable metabolism happening properly. So, I am taking it.

In terms of vitamin/mineral and its effect to the BCG treatment for bladder cancer.   I have found two studies with somewhat conflicting results. 

A yr 2000 study ( 65 patients) by Dr. Lamm of the University of Iowa reported increased dose of vitamin A,B,C,E and Zinc  may improve the efficacy of BCG immunotherapy but require further research.

A more recent - 2010 study (670 patients)  by University of Iowa team including Dr. Michael O'Donnell and Dr. Lamm reported there were no difference to the efficacy of BCG immunotherapy either with megadose vitamins vs recommended daily allowance vitamins.

So, after reviewing above, my conclusion is to take good nutritious food according to the national guideline, then take vitamin supplement to make sure we take enough vitamin and mineral to help chemical reactions (metabolism) happening in our body. but additional (more) supplement will not improve the efficacy of the BCG treatment.

Links related to the above information are posted separately as the forum software seems to limit the number of sites in the text.

best

2 years 9 months ago #60797 by hamondale
Replied by hamondale on topic diet for bladder cancer.
Do the supplements interfere with the BCG treatments?

2 years 9 months ago #60796 by Bills
Replied by Bills on topic diet for bladder cancer.
Hi 
I have done some research on this as well and found food as beneficial for BC

1)Broccoli
2) Raw chopped Garlic early morning.
3) Ginger
4) Pomegranate juice 
5) Vitamin C b6 and Zinc supplement  ( After BCG treatment)

Thanks and God Bless 

2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #60795 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic diet for bladder cancer.
I quit all carbonated, soft drinks. No, these did not cause my bladder cancer but, they don't do the urinary systems any good. Have you ever left a dirty penny overnight in one? Pretty dramatic.

Also, I started drinking juices in place of the soft drinks. Mostly pomegranate and those which are high in anti oxidants where there is some evidence on fighting cancers.

Adding as Doug said, I simply watch and eat better making sure I eat more veggies.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ff99

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne