First BCG Maintenance Started: Half Dose 40Mg

2 years 10 months ago #60776 by Bills
Hi Sara,

Thanks for  your reply and encouragements. Parents are building blocks of the their children. I remember all those instances when my father took me to doctors and hospitals when I was not well. He was always there with me along with my mother. 

Parents are pearls , MUST BE PRESERVED.

I thank you again and also Alan and Joea
U are the real Heros 
Respect 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 10 months ago #60769 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic First BCG Maintenance Started: Half Dose 40Mg
I wouldn't worry about this.  BCG side effects (and the ones he is experiencing are normal) can last for a week or so.

Your father is fortunate to have you in his corner!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bills

2 years 10 months ago #60768 by Bills
Hi Sara,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I see some decrease in the urgency today (2nd day) in my father. I am in UAE and we get an Onco-BCG here imported from India ( serum Institute of India). It comes as 40mg vial and you have to add saline to make it eligible to put through the catheter. 
Nurse mixed 20 ml of saline before putting it to the bladder. In induction we put 50ml saline.  My father hold it till 1.5 hrs in bladder. Recommended was 1 hr from Uro.
I see some decrease in frequency and urgency today but also observed some weakness and loss of appetite in father. I know its from BCG and since he is being treated aggressive from last 5 6  months( Cystoscopy,TURBT, BCG induction, & reTURBT & BCG again) , it is evident. I am sure things will become normal again and God willing my father will have a good prognosis in future.

Thanks and God Bless.

2 years 10 months ago #60766 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic First BCG Maintenance Started: Half Dose 40Mg
So glad to hear that everything is going well!

Urinary frequency and urgency are normal side effects of BCG and are to be expected.  I don't know about how BCG is obtained where you are located, but it usually comes in an already-prepared preparation.  Diluting it  would probably only decrease the effectiveness.  Of course, this is something that you need to discuss with the urologist if the side effects become too much to bear.  So far this doesn't seem to be the case.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bills

2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #60765 by Bills
Hi All,

Brief History 
My father's Diagnosis:
12 Sep 2020 ---> Gross Hematuria 
12 Sep 2020----> USG revealed calcified focal plague like mass in UB
12 Sep 2020 ---> CT scan revealed 1.8mm x 0.6mm focal plague in UB
13 Sep 2020 ---> Cystoscopy revealed Papillary growth in UB posterior wall and BN and part of Trigone. 
14 Sep 2020 ---> TURBT for all Bladder Tumor and Uro report wrote Papillary growth near BN, Trigone and posterior wall. Took three sample during TURBT. Entire tumor, Deep Bladder muscles, and prostrate muscles. Uro wrote the size of tumor as 3-4 cm after surgery.
29 Sep 2020----> Pathology report said , 20-30% HG papillary carcinoma, lamina propria and deep muscles invasion not seen. Also no malignancy detected in prostrate. Pathology report measured 2.2x2x0.5cm tumor.
BCG Induction : Could take only 4 instillations 80mg and 2 doses discontinued due to side effects
23 March 2021: reTURBT and Biopsy Both Clear for malignancy. Uro recommended half dose 3 BCG after 6 weeks

22 May 2021: 1st BCG dose 40 Mg in 20 ml saline

Results: No fever, no pain, no blood in Urine, no tiredness, no mood swings.
Side Effect: Urine Urgency and frequent urination. The same side effect as induction course but its only the first day. I hope they will subside in 2 and 3 day.

I need some advise in BCG saline concentration: Can we increase the saline concentration from 20ml to 50 ml so as to make it less concentrated? 
I am really keen to subside the side effect on this maintenance course as its our first one as Uro suggested that BCG was really effective in our case as was evident in reTURBT and biopsy.

Please advise 

Thanks and God Bless
Special Thanks to Alan , Sara and Joea73 for your valuable feedbacks every time.
God Bless you all and Respect

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne