Gemzar/Gemcitabine side effects Male HELP!

2 years 9 months ago #60803 by ff99
In order to hold Gemzar as long as you want ask the nurse to clamp the penis after the instillation.
Good luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 9 months ago #60792 by ff99
if you are a male, ask the nurse to clamp your penis in order to be able to hold Gemzar for at long as you want.
As far as pain, I don't have a clue.
Good luck.

2 years 10 months ago #60764 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic Gemzar/Gemcitabine side effects Male HELP!
SWARMY2007,

Welcome to the Five Year Treatment Club. Seems to be the point that constant treatment of recurring cancer starts to takes a bite out of optimism.

You have been fighting the good fight, and you have been given a break from treating, but it does not feel like a win.  We want to be pleased, but there is doubt in our minds.

What would it take for you to be celebrating a victory ? What could be done to erase the concern about the (frequently inaccurate) cytology ? What would let you call the round a "win" ?

For me, it is a MRI or full system CT Scan. I want something beyond the limited ability of human vision to set a diagnosis these days.

If you you know - or can express - what would give you the positive, supporting, info you are obviously seeking, talk to your doctor or care team. Their job it to treat your body and your spirit. Ask them to go the extra mile.

Hang in there. We are survivors, and we are not done fighting.

Best,
Jack 

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

2 years 10 months ago #60762 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Gemzar/Gemcitabine side effects Male HELP!
Urine cytology tests are NOTORIOUS for giving false positive results.  Since your urologist just did a cystoscopy, and since you are on a 3-month recall, he no doubt thinks that there is no problem because he just checked you and besides he will be checking again in 3 months.

He would not want to do another TURB unless he was pretty sure that there was something there.

You will be fine

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

2 years 10 months ago #60761 by swarmy2007
Replied by swarmy2007 on topic Gemzar/Gemcitabine side effects Male HELP!
After 5 negative consecutive 3 month scope & cytology reports being negative just had scope and no visible tumors yet the cytology came back hi-grade urothelial present again. Emailed my Uro doctor and he's not concerned see me next scope. So what.... says coming back and doctor just waits till tumors appear. All about the treatment never the cure. I am just really tired of living the life of cancer for for 4 years now life has been wrapped around treatment and in many ways not very pleasant. Guess I'm just a bit down today. God's will.  

2 years 10 months ago #60760 by ff99
I agree with one-hour holding time. Two hours seems to be too long and might cause inflammation.
Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: swarmy2007

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne