Non invasive recurring bladder cancer

3 years 3 months ago #60364 by JES1968
Replied by JES1968 on topic Non invasive recurring bladder cancer
Hi Sarah Anne,

I had a recurrence before BCG and then had 2 series of BCG and 1 maintenance monthly BCG. After each series of BCG, I had recurrences with Turbts. So in fact it did not work for me.

I then was given chemo infusions with Gemcitabine followed by another recurrence. Then a series of gemcitabine/docetaxel followed by monthly maintenance of the chemo infusions. I just had another recurrence after that.

In total I have had 8 turbts. I have had recurrences after BCG as well as after chemo infusions.

So I'm looking for people with similar experiences that failed BCG.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 4 months ago #60352 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Non invasive recurring bladder cancer
You have discovered the nasty little secret of bladder cancer....it likes to return. Did it return prior to your receiving your first BCG treatments? BCG is the standard of treatment when low-grade bladder cancer returns. It seems that it is working in your case.

Your cystitis symptoms after a series of BCG treatments are a common side effect of BCG (which is a form of immunotherapy, not chemotherapy.) This usually heals with time. Your urologist can give you something to help with the urgency.....I assume you have discussed this with him/her?

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 4 months ago #60350 by JES1968
Non invasive recurring bladder cancer was created by JES1968
I have non invasive low grade bladder cancer. I have had 8 Turbts since 2017.
I had 2 series of BCG. 1 of Gemcitabine and 2 more series of gemcitabine and Docetaxel together. All intervesical. I went for 11 months ending in October 2020 with no lesions. Then I got more and had my 8th Turbt. I am a 74 year old woman. I believe I now have a cystitis caused by the chemo treatments. It is mild but causes frequent urination at night.
I am wondering if there is anyone who has similar recurrent cancer. So far it has not spread.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne