BCG Immunotherapy and its effects on other procedures...

3 years 6 months ago #60066 by dtat60
Lorraineanne,

Prior to getting one of my maintenance BCG treatments, I was having a tooth issue and called my Urologist to ask if the treatment would have any effect on my BCG. He recommended that I delay my BCG for a week or so because antibiotics could have an effect on the BCG. I delayed a couple of weeks and then had the treatment.

Just thought I would pass this on - you might keep this in mind when you discuss with your physician.

Peace and Love,
Dave

08/16 Blood in Urine;09/16 CT Scan, RPG, Cysto;10/16 TURBT;12/08 BL TURBT;01/17 6X BCG;05/17 NED, 3X BCG, 9/17 NED, 3X BCG,1/18 NED, 3X BCG,7/18 NED, 3X BCG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lorraineanne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago #60065 by Lorraineanne
Thanks Alan. Very helpful. I really appreciate your time. L

(so on the last 6 wks of BCG you mention you were fatigued, were you mostly just fatigued a few days after the weekly treatment, or fatigued all days of the week?)

8/20 tumor found, 2 TURB with stent, tumor resected from bladder, another portion lasered from ureter, Toa,papillary urothelial carcinoma, non-invasive, high grade, BCG began Oct 22,2020

3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #60064 by Alan
For most of us BCG is a non event. The side effects are numerous and can become more intense but, tolerable. As I am sure you have read these include fatigue, urgency, spasms, burning etc. These are usually cumulative meaning they do become more noticeable and stronger.

Surgeries on a hand and tooth implant probably won't be a problem being different body systems. However, these DO need to be cleared with those surgeons as none of us are doctors. I usually worked the following day after my first 6 treatments (traveling salesman). The next 6 were different. I did find that I often checked where the nearest restroom was on day 2 as I had 30-60 seconds to use it or....! Everyone will react differently. The 3rd day I was back to "normal". I laughingly remember after the last 6 for a few months I had customers concerned whether I was losing the battle as it must have been on my face and apparently the fatigue showed. 12.5 years later it is a distant memory.

You are smart to prepare. You will do well and eventually you will put it all behind you. I like to say stronger and more effective in life.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

3 years 6 months ago #60063 by Lorraineanne
Getting ready to start my first BCG treatment on Thurs. I have been getting some good information from this forum and Sara, thanks. I was wondering about other non cancer related procedures coming up and whether the BCG will have adverse effects on these: in particular a tooth implant, a possible hand surgery and some mole removal procedures Does the immune response effect of BCG create problems for my body accepting a tooth implant? Another minor surgery?

Also what are the biggest problems people have with the BCG treatment ? I am thinking of going out of town the week between treatments and was wondering if it is better to stay near the doctor in case of complications? (I have not started yet and it is difficult for me to predict my body's reactions to the BCG treatment)

I appreciate your time and input. L

8/20 tumor found, 2 TURB with stent, tumor resected from bladder, another portion lasered from ureter, Toa,papillary urothelial carcinoma, non-invasive, high grade, BCG began Oct 22,2020

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne