Poll: how long after turbt ws catheter in place?

3 years 6 months ago #59855 by BadBladd
Thanks for that and I can see it does depend. Dr. said today it would come out b/ I left hospital. Sure hope he's right!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago #59849 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Poll: how long after turbt ws catheter in place?
Definitely not an expert on this subject, but I would think that the catheter stays as long as it is needed. What does that mean? Some people's tumor is located where more "damage" is done in removing it and this would affect the bladder's ability to void. Some patients have other medical conditions which would give a bit of concern to the urologist should urine retention become a problem.

The answer to "how long would the catheter stay in place" is "it depends."

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 6 months ago #59847 by BadBladd
Hi Alan - that's good news. I was hoping for the same as I had last time and now you say you had it out b/f leaving hospital. Thanks again for prompt response.

3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #59846 by Alan
My general experience after 8 knockout surgeries is the catheter only stayed if it was overnight. Meaning a TURB which is short, hernias etc that are day surgeries the cath was out before I was awake.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

3 years 6 months ago #59845 by BadBladd
It's been 5 years so I'm sort of foggy on this - my only remembrance was about an hour or two after turbt, dr. said to take it out. What are your experinces? I see online that some people say days and even weeks! I don't understand why that would be. Thanks.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne