Poll: how long after turbt ws catheter in place?

3 years 7 months ago #59892 by October28
Replied by October28 on topic Poll: how long after turbt ws catheter in place?
I cannot agree more that the change in technicians and the lack of comforting by Urologists is stunning. Some of them regard their work as if they are changing the oil on a "57 T Bird. Disconnected from the work perhaps for their own sanity and professionalism. But it hurtful to encounter people who seem to disregard the work they are doing, which is at best embarrassing for the patient and literally invasive. Uros need training and one weekend a year wearing only hospital gowns and voiding in urinals, preferably in busy hallways. If may make them human. if not empathetic. Hang in there.

Michael H.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 7 months ago #59864 by BadBladd
It is a horrible cancer. You are doing all the right things. I wish you good luck in this ongoing battle.

3 years 7 months ago #59863 by dtat60
I feel ya....as the young folks say. :woohoo: I always dread the cysto and also the maintenance treatments but in reality it is more mental for me than physical. Although I don't think my prostate will ever be the same as it was prior to diagnosis. I can honestly say that after going to the 6 month cycles vs three month my sex life has improved almost to normal (for a 70 yo).

In my case (not sure everyone has the same experience) I watch intently on the video screen as my Doc looks around my bladder making comments like "that's scar tissue, that is the left ureter, that looks like the BCG is working, that's the right ureter, your prostate looks inflamed", etc.

My Urologist is pretty cool. He has over 30 years experience, is calm, not the greatest bedside manner, but let's you know that you will be OK and he will make sure of it. The one thing I find semi-annoying is that the Med Techs that give me the BCG seem to change about every treatment cycle. It is embarrassing enough without seeing a new one every time (What up with that?)

Peace and Love,
Dave

08/16 Blood in Urine;09/16 CT Scan, RPG, Cysto;10/16 TURBT;12/08 BL TURBT;01/17 6X BCG;05/17 NED, 3X BCG, 9/17 NED, 3X BCG,1/18 NED, 3X BCG,7/18 NED, 3X BCG
The following user(s) said Thank You: BadBladd

3 years 7 months ago #59862 by P2157
My first TURB the catheter was in one day after I left the hospital. 4 weeks later I had my second TURB and had quite a bit more bleeding so the catheter was in for 3 days. I'm just finishing my 3 months off of BCG and go for my scope this coming Wednesday. It's been nice having the break between surgeries and BCG treatments and I'm not really looking forward to the scope but at the same time the wondering if I'll be clear is becoming a constant thought. Seven months ago I was diagnosed and it truly changed my life. Thanks to all that contributed to this site. It helps hearing from others going through this.

Paul

3 years 7 months ago #59861 by BadBladd
Wow - that's quite a journey you had with the catheters. Let's hope that's the end of it and you can avoid future catheter "attacks" - :-)... This is such a difficult cancer because it keeps on coming back! I wish you well and hope for you no more turbts in your future. Thanks so much for tuning in to my question.

3 years 7 months ago #59856 by dtat60
For my first TURBT, when I woke up I did not have a catheter and went home mucho bueno pronto!! I did have some severe bladder spasms that night and the next morning but after that nothing. On my followup TURBT (bluelight) which was on a Thursday I was discharged late that night, went home with the catheter and awoke early the next AM with an full bag of reddish urine and the urgent need to go. I emptied the bag but could not urinate (my cath was plugged) finally, from the pressure I presume, it released (the pressure) and what a relief - bloody tissue and urine but no after effects at all. At least nothing like the initial TURBT. In my case the bluelight revealed CIS and my Doc cut and burned quite a few areas so I assume that was the reason for tissue and cath, etc. The cath was removed that following Monday - so glad......that part sucked.

However, so far so good. I'm up to #24 BCG treatments and no reoccurance (knock wood). I am now on a 6 month cycle (first diagnosis in Oct. 2016).

Keep Hope Alive!!

Peace and Love,
Dave

08/16 Blood in Urine;09/16 CT Scan, RPG, Cysto;10/16 TURBT;12/08 BL TURBT;01/17 6X BCG;05/17 NED, 3X BCG, 9/17 NED, 3X BCG,1/18 NED, 3X BCG,7/18 NED, 3X BCG
The following user(s) said Thank You: BadBladd

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne