Switch from BCG to gemcitabine and docetaxel

3 years 3 months ago #60306 by Alan
Thanks ya'll! All updates help others. Also, glad to read about .....success.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 3 months ago #60304 by joea73
Congrats to both of you.

3 years 3 months ago #60302 by swarmy2007
Replied by swarmy2007 on topic Switch from BCG to gemcitabine and docetaxel
I have T1-HG for 4 years now. Did 3 TURBT doing BCG in first couple years then got real sick on BCG so switched to Gemcitibine (No Docetaxel) for near 2 years and for 1st time in my journey have been tumor free for 14 months now. Will continue doing Gemzar with scope 3 months and maintenance 3 week every 3 months forever unless returns. Seems the Gemzar complemented the BCG to point I have a chance now. Was returning at 4-5 month marks even doing 6xBCG treatments. Good luck stay strong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jlsears

3 years 3 months ago #60301 by MaryF
Hi, everyone. I wanted to give you all an update on my brother's experience with switching from BCG to gemcitabine and docetaxel, especially since I know that others of you may be facing similar situations. To recap, my brother was diagnosed with T1HG about a year and a half ago; he had BCG induction and a year of maintenance, then the BCG ran out. Due to the ongoing shortage, his doctor suggested he switch to monthly gemcitabine/docetaxel maintenance, in the hopes of preventing recurrence. He's had has first three treatments, and his most recent cystoscopy showed no recurrence of the cancer. He tolerated the gem/doc regimen fairly well--a few minor side effects (most tiredness) compared to the BCG, but nothing he couldn't handle.

Now we go on to three more months of gem/doc, and then another scope. But so far so good!

3 years 6 months ago #59859 by MaryF
Thanks for the link! I appreciate being able to watch Dr. Meeks' public discussions--as it happens, he IS my brother's urological oncologist . . . so this was a particularly interesting video to watch!

3 years 6 months ago #59842 by joea73
Thank you for detail description of the steps and side effects of gemcitabine and docetaxel instillation. The steps are very similar to what University of Iowa team had reported. Incidentally, I recognize the face of Dr. Joshua Meeks of Northwesten Memorial Hospital. I have seen him giving interviews in video. It turns out that he was speaking about gemcitabine and docetaxcel in one of video series of Urotoday. I have listed the link below.

As you mentioned, it is time consuming administration compared to intravesical chemotherapy with single agent.
In the video, Dr. Meeks also says it is time consuming and requires training among staff and because of it, the treatment is not often offered in smaller local hospitals. Dr. Meeks also mentions that gemcitabine and docetaxcel treatment is well tolerated and gives one of highest response rate compared to other treatment for BCG unresponsive bladder cancer. Another point he mentions is that our immune system is exhausted and tired
in dealing with BCG for long time and intravesical chemotherapy will an opportunity for the immune system to rest and recover. It is interesting thought.

www.urotoday.com/video-lectures/bladder-cancer/video/1622-greatest-advances-in-bcg-unresponsive-bladder-cancer-highlights-from-the-2019-suo-meeting-joshua-meeks.html

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne