inflammation or scar tissue after bcg

3 years 5 months ago #60103 by Lorraineanne
Replied by Lorraineanne on topic inflammation or scar tissue after bcg
Such great news, thanks for sharing that.

8/20 tumor found, 2 TURB with stent, tumor resected from bladder, another portion lasered from ureter, Toa,papillary urothelial carcinoma, non-invasive, high grade, BCG began Oct 22,2020

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 5 months ago #60102 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic inflammation or scar tissue after bcg
I was diagnosed first with papillary and the path report stated that there were areas of "inflammation." My urologist was concerned with these and did a second TURB where he paid special attention to these areas and the second path report noted that I had CIS, which is always high grade. I then had a six-week course of BCG. After that a cystoscopy was clear of any malignancy and I started maintenance BCG, three once-a-week doses every three months for a period of about 2 years.

Been cancer-free now for over 12 years.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 5 months ago #60101 by Lorraineanne
Sara, after your BCG 6 wks and BCG maintenance, did you have any recurrence? Do you still have your bladder? thank you for the help and information

8/20 tumor found, 2 TURB with stent, tumor resected from bladder, another portion lasered from ureter, Toa,papillary urothelial carcinoma, non-invasive, high grade, BCG began Oct 22,2020

3 years 5 months ago #60097 by sara.anne
I relied on my urologist to make that diagnosis. Instead of a day or so of burning/urgency, it went on longer than HE thought normal. And at my three-month cystoscopy there was a lot of irritation evident in the bladder.

Sara Anne

BCG; BCG maintenance
Forum Moderator

3 years 5 months ago #60095 by Lorraineanne
In your case, how was it a "not normal" side effect? In other words, how did you know it was not a typical BCG side effect, since both burning and urgency are a side effect of BCG? thank you for your information

3 years 6 months ago #60074 by sara.anne
My urologist diagnosed it. I had a lot of urgency and burning, beyond what was "normal" as a BCG side effect. He did a cystoscopy and saw a lot of angry irritation. We put off BCG for a couple of weeks until it healed.

Sara Anne

BCG; BCG maintenance
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lorraineanne

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne