Mitomycin side effects

3 years 7 months ago #59643 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Mitomycin side effects
Good! Keeping our fingers crossed for you! At the risk of confusing your situation, sometimes interfuron is added as a boost but, that is usually done after an initial induction that wasn't successful on BCG.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 7 months ago #59638 by Midwestgirl7
Replied by Midwestgirl7 on topic Mitomycin side effects
The reason I had Mitomycin C was that BCG was not available - there was a shortage and my Urologist stated he could not get it. I checked this out and it appeared to be accurate. It has now become available and an option for me.

3 years 7 months ago #59635 by Lapecheronza
Replied by Lapecheronza on topic Mitomycin side effects
No nessun effetto particolare con BCG, ho fatto sino ad ora 17 instillazioni di BCG e a parte le prime sei ore di normale bruciore e frequenza urinaria, facilmente superabile bevendo due litri di acqua, non ho avuto nulla di cui lamentarmi. Il BCG è una medicina meravigliosa.

No particular effect with BCG, I have done so far 17 instillations of BCG and apart from the first six hours of normal burning and urinary frequency, easily overcome by drinking two litres of water, I had nothing to complain about. BCG is a wonderful medicine.

3 years 7 months ago #59634 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Mitomycin side effects
If your response to mitomycin was allergic, there shouldn't be any crossover with BCG which is a totally different substance. BCG does have side effects; its purpose is to "kick up" the immune system to fight the cancer and some of the side effects show that this is happening. It can be quite effective in cases of high grade or returning bladder cancer. And yes, you will experience side effects. But it is surely worth a try because the next step would be a radical cystectomy.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: JIMG4

3 years 7 months ago #59633 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Mitomycin side effects
Welcome midwestgirl17,

There are very few over the years where I have seen posters start with mitomycin then BCG. The only quick observation I can offer is BCG appears to be slightly more effective for most people. Also, while I only had BCG there are unpleasant side effects (burning, urgency, tiredness etc) it IS better that systemic chemo and it's horrors with damage to the body. BCG is doable and worth a shot IMHO. Keep asking as you go, perhaps someone will have another view.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

3 years 7 months ago #59632 by Midwestgirl7
Mitomycin side effects was created by Midwestgirl7
Has anyone had a allergic and/or bad side effects for mitomycin C chemo after TURBT?
I have had 3 surgeries for non low grade invasive bladder cancer. I experienced a lot of pain after the first surgery for a few weeks. I had my second surgery a year later and again did the Mitomycin C in the hospital after TURBT. I did ok initially, but after 4 weeks I started getting painful urination like I was getting a UTI, but the tests said no UTI. I then experienced a lot of bleeding. I went in for a Cysto, and my bladder was inflamed and I was not healing. My Urologist said it was rare but thought I was having an allergic reaction to the Mitomycin C . The protocol was to go on Benadryl.
As soon as I started taking it, all my symptoms went away. I then developed nausea daily for about 4 to 6 weeks, had a endoscopy for stomach but nothing found. They never determined the cause of the nausea.

I had my 3rd TURBT a few weeks ago, but did not do the mitomycin C. I had virtually no side effects.

My Doctor has discussed BCG as an option, due to the cancer coming back. I am very reluctant after reading the post problems many of you have had. It seems like the side effects are worse. I would like to hear others experience with Mitomycin and then BCG.
Thanks

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne