Low grade bc and mitomycin

4 years 2 months ago #59104 by Regor
Replied by Regor on topic Low grade bc and mitomycin
I am curious also, because I have always been led to believe from all the forum threads and my Urologist that mitomycin is typically only for low grade, and BCG for High grade.

TURBT Jan 2019; Diag: CIS
Induction BCG (Mar 19) /Maint BCG (Aug 19)
TURBT Nov 2019; Diag: CIS
Repeat Induction BCG - Jan 2020 Complete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 2 months ago #59103 by Eight15
Replied by Eight15 on topic Low grade bc and mitomycin
Sara Anne, are you saying that it is very unusual to use mitomycin to treat/reduce recurrences of low grade bc? Have you heard of anyone on this site having this done?

4 years 2 months ago #59102 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Low grade bc and mitomycin
Please remember that this is my personal opinion.....not docs here. My opinion is worth what you pay for it!!

I would be a bit concerned over the multiple returns. Would want to know exactly why he/she wants to try mitomycin. Is it because there is evidence that it is better (I would want to see the evidence)? Is it because BCG is not available in this clinic?

I think that after that many recurrences I would really seek a second opinion at a center that treats LOTS of bladder cancer.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 2 months ago #59100 by Eight15
sara.anne, thank you so much for your response. I was doing bcg (about 18 instillations) until the shortage. My last bcg was May 2019. I had a clear Cysto in August then a recurrence this January: one low grade, superficial and removed in the office. I've had 4 recurrences (all low grade) since my initial one in 2015. He's offering me mitomycin because of the shortage, I'm sure.

Any thoughts on this approach with mito?

4 years 2 months ago #59097 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Low grade bc and mitomycin
BCG is the standard of care for recurrent low grade bladder cancer. Recently there has been a shortage of BCG and many urologists have substituted mitomycin for BCG. Most urologists who treat a lot of bladder cancer patients are now able to obtain BCG which is more effective than mitomycin.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 2 months ago #59096 by Eight15
Anybody?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne