TURBT Followup - Thoughts Welcome!

4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #58760 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic TURBT Followup - Thoughts Welcome!
Sunshine 2019,

You have already gotten some good pointers from Sara Anne and Jack. I'll just add my 2 cents as waiting is hard but, worrying is non productive. Try and take each day one at a time as it's all we can control. Keep posting as you go, someone will be around to share good news, bad news and anything in between. The good that I see is you are on a plan and outcomes are usually good.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 4 months ago #58756 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic TURBT Followup - Thoughts Welcome!
Sunshine2019,

Visual diagnosis of CIS v inflammation redness has been a futile exercise for me.
I would understand a 50/50 call to mean "I can't tell which it is.
CIS can disappear and return later, inflammation from BCG or other intravesical treatment can linger for months.
Only the pathology report will settle the question.
Waiting for results IS hard.
The wait time for results does not lead to an unfavorable outcome.
You are working toward a goal, try to allow some time.
Try to allow yourself to relax while things happen more slowly than any of us like.

Best
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

4 years 4 months ago #58755 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic TURBT Followup - Thoughts Welcome!
Very often BCG causes a cystitis or irritation of the bladder lining that looks like "red spots." This happened to me and my urologist did another biopsy to confirm what it was. So I believe your urologist that it could be one or the other. We will hope it is irritation from BCG.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 4 months ago #58754 by Sunshine2019
TURBT Followup - Thoughts Welcome! was created by Sunshine2019
Hello -

January 2019 - Mom diagnosed with High Grade Non Invasive Bladder Cancer (Papilary Tumor only - no CIS).

Completed recommended treatment was a round of 6 BCG treatments (diluted due to shortage).

Followup a couple on months ago and there were no papillary lesions (tumors) present. However there was CIS present (which was a new thing)

Completed recommended treatment was a round of 6 BCG treatments - with Interferon.

Followup TURBT procedure today. The Doctor said there were no tumors - which is great. She did see "a couple of red spots." Doctor took a biopsy and said results will be about a week. She said that could be the CIS again or it could be an inflammation. She said it’s about 50/50 as to what it is. Of course I'm concerned, because last time thse "red spots' turned out to be CIS.

Logic of course says that I can't worry until you get the biopsy results. The waiting is really hard - and its not exactly simple to not be emotional.

I'm curious on how this community would feel about the results from today. Are these red spots typically CIS? Given the result of these "red spots" last time - would you believe it truely is a 50/50 chance of it being nothing?

Thank you in advance!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne