Two recurrences in one year!

4 years 3 months ago #58728 by Elf
Replied by Elf on topic Two recurrences in one year!
Thanks. I’m in Scotland an attend the Western General in Edinburgh. It’s one of the top cancer and urology centres in the country. So I’m in good hands. It just seems a bit of a coincidence that last year there was only one tumour, no others then after the first TURBT 5 more tiny ones. I did smoke but Iv also been reading that perhaps hormones may be responsible during the menopause. This is the exact time mine started. If the bladder is unstable can it correct itself? Iv read of others who had a couple of recurrences the first year and we’re tumour free 7years later. They said it looked low grade again about 2mm in size. It’s great to talk to people who have been through this. Thanks for your reply.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 3 months ago #58726 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Two recurrences in one year!
Welcome to our exclusive club!! Unfortunately, I know you didn't want to join.

Bladder cancer's nasty little secret is that it does tend to recur. Your bladder lining is probably unstable for some reason (smoking? chemicals? ??) and the recurring tumors are probably newly forming. At this point you and your urologist need to have a serious discussion about options.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a second opinion on where you might be headed from a place that has a lot of experience in treating bladder cancer, such as a university medical school urology department or a major cancer center such as MD Anderson, Memorial Sloan Kettering, Johns-Hopkins, Stanford, USC. If you tell us where you are geographically someone may have other suggestions for you. This is NOT something you want to fool around with.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 3 months ago #58725 by Elf
Two recurrences in one year! was created by Elf
Hi, just joined the forum. So I’m just wondering if anyone has a similar experience to me. It all started a year ago when finally after 2years back and forward to the Dr after experiencing blood in the urine on and off I was sent for a CT scan. They found one 3cm tumour. Had the TURBT and the surgeon perforated my bladder so therefor I couldn’t get the chemo wash after surgery. Then they were late with my three month cysto check. Finally got it at the six month mark where the found two tiny ones. He just blasted them in the office. The first one was Ta G2. The second two were Ta G1. Then had six weeks of Mitomycin which finished 1st of October. Just been today for cystio and they found three more! Have to get a second TURBT. Im wondering if this is re seeding after the removal of the first tumour? I’m so frustrated! Any input would be appreciated thanks.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne